The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the move from the BullyDog to SCT, and noticed a few lackings. Now, I realize the key point to the SCT is more power, using less fuel. Has anyone run the canned street tune on the SCT, and noticed NO smoke? Is this normal? With the BullyDog, my truck smoked like a freight train, and does not smoke at all with the SCT. And yes, I know that smoke is simply excessive fuel that did not get burned off, so no smoke is, essentially, better. And I know there are custom smoke files available. I was just curious if no smoke was a common thing with the canned tunes. Any input will be appreciated.:shrug:

·
2,035 Posts
Those canned tunes are weak. You need to call a vendor and get some custom tuning...much stronger. I use DJ and personally feel he's the best performance tuner out there.

The SCT won't smoke as much as the bully dog even on custom tunes but will definately make more power. Most bully dog Ford's I see at the track are running in the 15's on a 4x4 launch. SCT Ford's can pull down into the 13's on a good race tune.

·
2,951 Posts
HD_F250 said:
Those canned tunes are weak. You need to call a vendor and get some custom tuning...much stronger. I use DJ and personally feel he's the best performance tuner out there.

The SCT won't smoke as much as the bully dog even on custom tunes but will definately make more power. Most bully dog Ford's I see at the track are running in the 15's on a 4x4 launch. SCT Ford's can pull down into the 13's on a good race tune.
The real test is to see which truck is not puking at the end of the trackLOL My vote goes to the bullydog:woot:

Lonnie

·
2,951 Posts
machine said:
I made the move from the BullyDog to SCT, and noticed a few lackings. Now, I realize the key point to the SCT is more power, using less fuel. Has anyone run the canned street tune on the SCT, and noticed NO smoke? Is this normal? With the BullyDog, my truck smoked like a freight train, and does not smoke at all with the SCT. And yes, I know that smoke is simply excessive fuel that did not get burned off, so no smoke is, essentially, better. And I know there are custom smoke files available. I was just curious if no smoke was a common thing with the canned tunes. Any input will be appreciated.:shrug:
The canned tunes are a joke and I will say the bullydog smokes alot more than the sct.

Lonnie

·
77 Posts
well i would like mine to smoke more than it does, without having to change injectors and all that good stuff, does anyone know anything about Rapid Power or just the Power Pup from bully dog

·
2,035 Posts
07six-o said:
The real test is to see which truck is not puking at the end of the trackLOL My vote goes to the bullydog:woot:

Lonnie
Ya right. The bully dog is WAY more dangerous for the 6.0 than the SCT.

Keep that thing running on the highest level and see how many miles you get on that tranny. LOL

Like I said before, at the track the fastest bully dog ford's are running in the 15's. When I was running just tuner and exhaust I was pulling 14.0's not even running a race tune on 35's. On the race tune I was pulling high 13's on the 35's.

Let's see a bully dog ford on just tuner and exhaust pull 13's on even stock tires...won't happen. All smoke and no go :smoke

Although you're probably delusional...I met this guy at the track a while back. Running a bully dog on his f250 with stock tires. Was talking to him and I mentioned that I run in the 13's and he said he was for sure going to run 13's because he had a bully dog and exhaust. Ended up running mid 15's. LOL

·
2,035 Posts
cwise2008 said:
well i would like mine to smoke more than it does, without having to change injectors and all that good stuff, does anyone know anything about Rapid Power or just the Power Pup from bully dog
Dude, you are wasting your time with the bully dog garbage. The bully dog is very hard on the tranny. I've got 110k+ miles on my stock tranny running the SCT on a full blown race tune as a daily driver...you won't run that long on a bully dog turned up every day.

The SCT makes more power plain and simple and is way faster.

Would you rather win a race with a little less smoke or get your @ss handed to you while you smoke?

If you run some aggressive tuning you will have smoke with an SCT. I have a few tunes that smoke more than any bully dog Ford I have seen. When the rain stops in about 3 days I'll try to make a video of my smoke running the ole "stupid power" file from DJ...it smokes like a b!tch up to about 100MPH.

·
2,951 Posts
HD_250,

Yes I do have it set on extreme and have had it there since the truck had 200 miles on it. I have 20k miles on her now and I'm not going to get in to a pissing match with you over this:poke: . I dont care who will win the race,I just care about not puking and thats it. Yes I want more power but I dont want the truck to puke.

Lonnie

·
77 Posts
well iam running 40s i dont really race anyone unless a freind of mine wants to run em down the road i have never brought mine to the track although i would like to, what files do you have from DJ
And i would like to see a video of a 6.0 with SCT blowin some smoke

·
77 Posts
07six-0
have you had any trouble with your tranny running on extreme all the time, i also keep mine in extreme, do you have yours in smooth or aggressive shifts?

·
2,951 Posts
cwise2008 said:
07six-0
have you had any trouble with your tranny running on extreme all the time, i also keep mine in extreme, do you have yours in smooth or aggressive shifts?
cwise2008,

I have mine in extreme w/ the tranny aggressive all the time. Thats why I got the sct because so many people were talking about it being better for your tranny. But I have never had a problem with my tranny and don't want to either. I am talking with another tuner about it and thinking about trying his tune. I will let you know what happens.

Lonnie

·
77 Posts
07six-0
i had heard that with the tranny on aggressive on the programmer on extreme it would hurt it pretty bad so i was curious of what your opinion was

·
2,035 Posts
07six-o said:
HD_250,

Yes I do have it set on extreme and have had it there since the truck had 200 miles on it. I have 20k miles on her now and I'm not going to get in to a pissing match with you over this:poke: . I dont care who will win the race,I just care about not puking and thats it. Yes I want more power but I dont want the truck to puke.

Lonnie
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't care about racing, why run on extreme all the time and cause more harm to your motor and tranny? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyhow, there is nothing to argue about, Bully Dog is a known tranny killer just as well as Banks and Edge. Just like Diablo is known for being a HG killer. I've been running on a full blown race tune on my SCT for a long time. Talking more like 80k miles...I've still never blown a HG to this date. I race mine every chance I get whether it be on the street or on the track. I also tow heavy and almost always tow on an SCT tune.

I did blow the EGR cooler one time, but it started giving me trouble because of the Diablo and the SCT just finished it off.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts