The Diesel Garage banner

Spartan Vs. SCT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm finally satisfied with the way my truck looks, rides, sounds, and how useful It's become.

Now that just leaves one last thing....

The Engine. I hate hitting the gas and waiting for what seemed like ten minutes before the engine kicks.

My older brother is running the Spartan 310 in his 6.4, a Banks Air cooler, the DPF delete. It's fast, very fast, especially since his is still sitting stock, but mine just has to be faster. It's sort of a older brother little sister dispute. Haha. :mafia1:

I want to make my truck beast, the best way, the right way, the first time.

What should I do?

(Oh and someone told me the other day the SCT's are faster than the Spartans and better for the Engine?)

Thank you for any and all help and suggestions. :D :wave YAY FOR MY FIRST POST ON THIS SITE.​

·
139 Posts
Hopefully everyone is distracted by the fact that you're a girl... Otherwise this is on the fast track to a SCT vs Spartan vs H&S war.... :sofa:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Girls can love trucks too. I don't like being ignorant to what I'm doing with it is all. :p I want all the opinions I can get so I say bring it on.

·
1,415 Posts
Can still go one up in spartan, they go to 350 i beleve.

·
52 Posts
Spartans all the way.
Thanks Dale:happymugs

·
BCJAG72
139 Posts
If you go over the 310 on Spartan you need a race tranny or you will toast it. You also need a TCM from them if you go over the 275. Keep that in mind. Spartan is great! Mick is the best guy to deal with there.

·
139 Posts
Girls can love trucks too. I don't like being ignorant to what I'm doing with it is all. :p I want all the opinions I can get so I say bring it on.
I wasn't sayin girls can't love em or that they shouldn't.... I've just seen many threads started like this that turn to a war back and forth and end up as 20 page long threads.... I do have the SCT and I will say that the livewire is an extremely inferior monitor to what Spartan has to offer. It does not even have a button to turn on with, you just have to plug it in to get power if that gives you an idea...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't sayin girls can't love em or that they shouldn't.... I've just seen many threads started like this that turn to a war back and forth and end up as 20 page long threads.... I do have the SCT and I will say that the livewire is an extremely inferior monitor to what Spartan has to offer. It does not even have a button to turn on with, you just have to plug it in to get power if that gives you an idea...

Well, considering that... Now I'm leaning more toward the Spartan. I don't want my truck to look dummied down with what looks like something cheap, you know?

Is there anything else you can suggest that would be smart as an addition?

·
139 Posts
Well, considering that... Now I'm leaning more toward the Spartan. I don't want my truck to look dummied down with what looks like something cheap, you know?

Yeah, it definitely looks cheap and feels cheap to me. So much so that I don't even plug the monitor in unless I'm driving a good distance because it irritates me that I spent $750 on that thing.

As far as suggestions, I don't have any. I'm still in the dark on all these mods and I spend quite a bit of time on these boards looking and reading up. One thing I can tell you is Jeff(08stroker) is always here and seems to really have knowledgeable answers for anyone who asks.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
If you go over the 310 on Spartan you need a race tranny or you will toast it. You also need a TCM from them if you go over the 275. Keep that in mind. Spartan is great! Mick is the best guy to deal with there.
You do not need a TCM if you go over the 275 tune unless you have a Job 1 TCM. The 310 tune and Job 1 TCM's typically do not work well with each other...mainly because of the torque converter. Job 2 and 3 TCM's work better with the 310 tune.

It really just depends on what your looking to get out of it. An intake, Spartan tuner with a level 1 license, and DPF delete exhaust is going to get you in the 500 horsepower range. We offer bigger tunes for additional costs that can put you in the 550-575 range, but your tranny is going to suffer in the long run. If your just looking for better mileage and some get up and go, the level 1 licensed tuner is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stroker, thanks for the advice. Do you think it would be much smarter move to just invest in a better transmission prior to tuning my truck and dumping as much power into it as possible? Or load it up and let the first transmission suffer for a few good months? (Although I wouldn't be running my truck hard but maybe once or twice a month, if that.)

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Stroker, thanks for the advice. Do you think it would be much smarter move to just invest in a better transmission prior to tuning my truck and dumping as much power into it as possible? Or load it up and let the first transmission suffer for a few good months? (Although I wouldn't be running my truck hard but maybe once or twice a month, if that.)
The transmission in these trucks can handle plenty of power, a lot more than you would think. I wouldn't recommend doing anything to it until there are problems with it. It was about 47,000 miles before I needed to go to a Suncoast. I ran our 275 and 310 tunes every day. It wasn't until I began testing the 350 tune that it went downhill. I had right around 80,000 miles total on my stock one when we put the Suncoast in....and my stock one was STILL drivable.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts

ME!!!LOL

Looking at your rig. I would concider putting in some studs too. Better to do it now before you lift a head. Doing them 1 at a time can be done in the drive way but its a bit of a pain in the *****. With the lift and larger tires. The motor will have to work harder to keep up to a truck that is riding stock. If you plan on running the 310 or higher. Deffinetly get a tranny. and TC.

·
1,077 Posts
I'd call kem before either of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts