The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1996 F250 2WD.

This morning (rainy & wet out), I drove about a 1/2 mile and the brake light & ABS light both came on. I noticed no change in the braking at all, but needless to say, I am concerned. The tire joint down the road from my office wanted $86 just to read the brake codes! :eek:mg This is on top of any repairs. Needless to say, I won't be doing business with them. Do both lights (ABS & Brakes) come on with an ABS issue or is there likely another problem as well? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
1,726 Posts
I would guess that your connection at the sensor on the rear end is allowing water to get in. Disconnect the wiring clean it up really well and put some dielectric grease in the connection and on the seal. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out I may have a small leak. The fluid was down a fair bit. I went out at lunch and added 3/4 pint and the lights both went out. Now I have to chase the leak down. Funny thing is there was no deterioration of braking performance (thank God!). That's why I didn't think about the fluid level.

·
1,726 Posts
Doesn't it feel good to make 85 bucks?

Well you didn't really make any money but you know what they say, a penny saved is a penny earned.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I was gonna say check the fluid, it has happend on my stroker but on my ranger when it gets low if push on the pedal the abs and park brake light come on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts