The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ford Excursion Diesel. The AC expansion valve keeps clogging up. I've flushed it twice and the condenser lines are not equal in temp. High side normal, low side high by 30lbs over normal. Is something coming apart in hoses? Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:bang

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I have a 2004 Ford Excursion Diesel. The AC expansion valve keeps clogging up. I've flushed it twice and the condenser lines are not equal in temp. High side normal, low side high by 30lbs over normal. Is something coming apart in hoses? Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:bang
You shouldn't clean the expansion device but rather replace it. Isn't is either a red, or blue plastic screen? An expansion valve is a mechanical valve that senses temperature of the evaporator and have not been common on passenger vehicles for many years unless you are speaking of a rear air unit or which some are still mechanical.

For an expansion device to be clogging up it is either from congealed oil, or mechanical breakdown of the compressor. Regardless, the system needs evacuated, properly flushed, worn parts replaced, and recharged with the correct viscosity PAG oil. The condensor inlet and outlet pipes should not be equal in temperature at all or the heat exchanger is not performing it's job.

·
3,051 Posts
What are the low/high psi pressures reading? Ambient temps make a big difference as well a proper engine fan operation in pressures. Typically an average low/high readings in a R134a system will be 30-50psi low / 150-200psi high.

Harry

Reactions: mmullen1952
1 - 3 of 3 Posts