The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to change out the evaporator coil in the 97 truck. My dealer wants 800 and if its not too much trouble i'll do it myself. I am assuming it is the coil that is leaking since I started getting a nasty oil smell coming from the ac vents at the same time the ac quit blowing cold.

·
1,224 Posts
What does it take to change out the evaporator coil in the 97 truck. My dealer wants 800 and if its not too much trouble i'll do it myself. I am assuming it is the coil that is leaking since I started getting a nasty oil smell coming from the ac vents at the same time the ac quit blowing cold.
Besides the bolts/screws and hoses you need to vacuum out the freon, after installing the new one you need to put a vacuum to the system to pull out the air that got into the system when the lines were disconnected and check for leaks while under a vacuum.. This also will pull out any atmospheric moisture introduced with the air. Then there is the recharging the system along with some makeup lubricant that was lost with the old evaporator.
If you were closer, I could do it as I have a full manifold/guage setup for doing this.
Not sure if the 800 is reasonable :shrugssince I never paid anyone to do this.

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help and I bit the bullet and paid to have it done today. I told the service tech that it doesn't blow as much air as it used to and he said there ia a service bulletin to remove a screen and that would solve the problem. After having it done I get about twice the air as I used to.

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
As labor intensive as the evaporator core is, I hope you had the heater core replaced as well !

·
1,224 Posts
Thanks for the help and I bit the bullet and paid to have it done today. I told the service tech that it doesn't blow as much air as it used to and he said there ia a service bulletin to remove a screen and that would solve the problem. After having it done I get about twice the air as I used to.
Your Welcome.

do you know where the screen is located and is it easy to reach or does the quadcab not have it?

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your Welcome.

do you know where the screen is located and is it easy to reach or does the quadcab not have it?
Sure don't, but I would find out because I haven't had this much air come out of the vents since it was new.

Reactions: Dodgefarmer

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As labor intensive as the evaporator core is, I hope you had the heater core replaced as well !
As brilliant as you are, it would be appreciated if you would tell me things like this before its done. :bang

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
As brilliant as you are, it would be appreciated if you would tell me things like this before its done. :bang
I didn't read the post till you already authorized it; most repair facilities would/should have suggested it at the same time ! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts