The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when driving on the highway (65-75mph) that the AC doesnt blow as cold as it does while driving around town. Would this be an indicator that the system is getting low on freon?

·
1,921 Posts
More likely just from the vent letting air blow through it faster not cooling it as much. Do you notice it on AC or MAX AC? MAX AC should close teh vent to the outside so it just recirculates so it should't effect it much weather driving at speed or slow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Had the same problem a month or so ago. Bought one of those recharge kits from Interdynamics at PepBoys for under $50. Cold as can be now. Averages about 48 at center vent but have seen it as low as 38 during idle.
... and that is when it's in the 90's outside.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gtspowerstroke said:
More likely just from the vent letting air blow through it faster not cooling it as much. Do you notice it on AC or MAX AC? MAX AC should close teh vent to the outside so it just recirculates so it should't effect it much weather driving at speed or slow.

I almost always run with it on MAX AC, I dont drive my truck very often and when I do its only a 7 mile trip hauling the racecar to the track with a max speed of 50mph. I went out of town a couple of weeks ago and noticed this.

hopeful 6.0 said:
Had the same problem a month or so ago. Bought one of those recharge kits from Interdynamics at PepBoys for under $50. Cold as can be now. Averages about 48 at center vent but have seen it as low as 38 during idle.
... and that is when it's in the 90's outside.
Was that just R-134 recharge? How much did you put in. I've got the adaptor and a bottle or two of freon, but without guages I didnt want to over charge the system.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Was that just R-134 recharge? How much did you put in. I've got the adaptor and a bottle or two of freon, but without guages I didnt want to over charge the system.
Yep, R-134. The kit came with 2 cans, a hose, and gauge. It took both cans. I don't know if I would try it without a gauge... could be a costly mistake if you overcharge and blow a seal or worse, the compressor. The cans were rather large but contained a lot of oil and also said there was some leakstop in cans. If you already have freon, you could probably find a cheap hose/gauge. Some of the kits I saw came with hose and gauge built into can. You throw away the whole thing when finished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts