The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 4700 international DT466E my problem is that when it sets for a while and then we drive it the engine light comes on and then it starts sputtering and missing. When it sets idling it will start to sputter and sound like its running out of fuel. It also surges when we are driving it. We changed the accelarator pedel, air filter, fuel filter today. Yet we are still having the same problem. Any suggestions on what it could be causing this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2001 International 4700 DT466E. Problem I having is that when u start it it runs fine then all of a sudden it starts sputtering and blowig black smoke. It also surges while driving it. Then it will start running fine fine. Then when you shut it off and go to drive it agian it does it all over agian. I have changed the accelarator pedal and it did not help. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Cam sensor is a common problem and inexpensive, but by your description, it might be an "ICP" related problem, either with the ICP sensor, IPR valve, HPOP or commonly the wrong oil/low oil.

These engines operate the injectors using highly pressurized engine oil supplied by the "HPOP" (high pressure oil pump), controlled by the "IPR" valve (Injection pressure regulator) and monitored by the "ICP" sensor (Injection Control Pressure). ALL THREE of those must be working normally for the engine to run well, PLUS you need to use the correct oil type: 15W-40, with API "CI-4" or "CJ-4" on the container. Use of "automotive" type engine oil WILL cause foaming of the oil and can cause symptoms like you decsribe.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
DTCs are worthless unless the CEL is on NOW. DTC will only tell you what the ECM identified as a problem, not the cause or when - it might have been 5 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts