The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was junk yard hopping this weekend for a trans mission dip stick tube well i found that and a wrecked 6.5-T truck and the engine ans trans were missing truck had 317K on the ODO which is now the second 6.5 i have seen over 300k. . . Very nice :thumbsup

So anywho i noticed they left the trans and oil coolers on it, so i got to looking and thought about adapting and mounting the the larger cooler where my current trans cooler is. . .

My trans guy said i would have to bring the cooler in so he could run some additive and ATF threw it for a while to remove the motor oil and contaminates but he said it should and has worked with great success in the past.

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So will a larger cooler help the 4L80E at all ?
whats your views on larger coolers on these transmissions ?

Mike

·
1,836 Posts
Blow the cooler out with air - both directions and catch the results on a newspaper or something like it, fill with solvent ( naptha, paint thinner, acetone........). A turkey baster will provide agitation but leave it soak overnight. Blow it out and check for unwanted contents.

Use a full flow oil filter and change with the engine oil schedule.

keydl

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the trans shop was going to hook the cooler right to there flushing machine and run some solvents threw it along with some ATF, then after that they want me to do a fluid n filter change when i install the cooler then run a few 100 miles then drop the pan and change the filter once more that seems to be spot on with your suggestion. . .

Mike

·
1,836 Posts
If you use a spin on filter head in the line all you need to do is change the filter and cut it open to look for trash.

I prefer to see the contents, the flushing machines that I have been near don't give a sample to show. If it is old engine oil - no problem, but add bearing gold and it may overload the trans filter. With a spin on going to the cooler inlet it will pick up all the trash, after you run 1k miles or so and cut a filter to find no trash I would repipe to the trans outlet so that trans failure does not kill the cooler.

For regulat service - just change the filter and suck the pan dry through the dipstick and fill it up with new. Every 100k or 5 years drop the pan to look at the filter unless it is a screen.

keydl

Reactions: M123KT-450

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you much for your help, most helpful good info . . .

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still haven't gotten around to this my 4L80E start doing some funky thing's so i haven't gotten to this but i will update it when i do. . .

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started the process of flushing the cooler out. . . so far so good it take a alot to flush diesel oil out of a cooler. . .I am hoping to install it this weekend. . .

So will i notice difference in operation with the 50% larger cooler ?

or

will it drive about the same just be running colder ?

Mike

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
From my experience with transmission coolers the transmission will behave the same, but run cooler. The one exception being if the transmission overheated constantly with the old cooler, you will notice a difference.

One other thing to consider, I dont know how cold it gets where you live, but my trucks behave different in the cold with the stock coolers. With a bigger cooler, your transmission may behave different until it gets up to temperature.

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The truck normally runs about a half hour before i drive it during the winter months, normally it just goes from 1 side of the street to the other with a trip into town once a week, Unless it snow then it goes to work n back . . .

i'm not sure if its been over heated, i am doing this as a preventive measure, would the over sized trans pan be over kill with the larger cooler ?

Mike

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
I would try the new cooler first and see how it behaves. You can always upgrade later on.

Reactions: M123KT-450

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is very true . . .

Mike

·
1,836 Posts
Doubling the transmission cooler will have NO effect under most conditions, what it will do is limit the peak temp under heavy haul, if the temps go below 40 F it will take longer for the trans temp to get to operating temp - over 125.

There is a thermostat available that solves both, JCW used to have them for oil ( 1/2 in ) and trans ( 3/8 in ), the engine oil is the size for 1/2 in tubes on an hd trans.

keydl

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am getting a vendor quote on some temp guages as well, I would like to keep an eye on my Trans temp and my engine oil temp. . .

4L80E:

About what temps should it be running empty ?

and

About what temps should it be Running loaded ?

Edit:
How cold is too cold ? and how hot is too hot ?

Mike

·
1,836 Posts
Shift quality is slower below 40 F on mine, so I don't lean on it. It has the cooler on the side of the engine ( coolant to oil ) so it warms with the engine.

I have seen older charts on trans fluid life - they date back to ATF - and the new fluids are better, as well as the seal materials are improved - so the temps are very conservative. On that note, I still back out at 240 F and change a couple of gallons of trans fluid with the next oil change. Oil is not real expensive compared to hard parts. The trans pan holds about 1 gallon and sucks out with the oil change can for the boat. Drive it to mix the new with the old fluid and warm it ( not hot, or leave a little time to cool ) then get the second batch out the dipstick tube. Around 50k, drop the pan and change the filter and do a band adjust.

Last year I saw 270 F for a short time and it does not seem to have caused damage, band adjustment was close and the fluid did not smell burned. The only change is that the converter hunts a little before dropping torque multiplication.

keydl

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok then . . . 40*F - 240*F . . .

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok just picked up the fluid and filter...

I shall take a complete photo how to as usual .. .

So stay tuned !

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts