The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to adjust my valves soon and I cant seem to find any specs on here. Do any of you guys know what they are? Also, does the engine have to be warm, cold, or it doesnt matter.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Well someone beat me to it...LOL

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
JayRock said:
I want to adjust my valves soon and I cant seem to find any specs on here. Do any of you guys know what they are? Also, does the engine have to be warm, cold, or it doesnt matter.

IT MATTERS, the engine should be cold. You'll be sweating your *** if you do it hot. It takes hours for that engine too cool down too. I think it'd be more acturate if it's cool too.

·
1,189 Posts
it all depends on the specs for the cam.. some are hot lash and some are cold lash..

·
324 Posts
So whenever you put the feeler gauge in between the valve do you want the rocker to barely be touching or does ther need to be some pressure. So basically do you need to be able to slide it out easily when finish with adjusting?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Carbur8tr said:
So whenever you put the feeler gauge in between the valve do you want the rocker to barely be touching or does ther need to be some pressure. So basically do you need to be able to slide it out easily when finish with adjusting?

You are asking for a opinion there, we'll probably all argue on that one. I like it tight.............along with other things.

·
NHRDA Race Director
454 Posts
Carbur8tr said:

First off ALWAYS lash the valves on a COLD motor.......

You want to make it so the gauge is snug ..... the specs call for 10 on the intake and 20 on the exhaust ....... I run mine 8 and 18 ..... now I dot recommend everyone do this, I have a cam and I have mine setup for a race application. I do drive mine 500+ miles a week.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ditto on what twisted shifter said. There have been some companies that recommend hot lash settings, but they are few and far between and I do not believe you will come across them in this industry. In general, stick with cold settings on our engines. :D

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
There is a way to double check your settings on your lash. It easy... If it need to be .010 then a .011 should NOT fit... Same goes for the .020 then .021 should not fit...

All engines I've every worked on require COLD adjustment...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Same here, but it didn't always work out that way.:shrug:
yuo guys think I am crazy eh?? LOL

directly from crane cams

"It is important to use the recommended valve lash when you first test the performance of the engine. You must also be concerned with thermal expansion of the engine components. (This is especially true if using aluminum alloy cylinder heads, or block.) For this reason, Crane requires that the valve lash be set with the engine ?Hot? on all pushrod engines using mechanical lifters. This will insure that the minimum required clearance (valve lash) is maintained throughout the engine?s operating temperature range."

here is the link, http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=4

Of course this has nothing to do with our baby's, but it is for real.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No one said you were crazy. But on the ISB I guess you are suppose to adjust valves cold. I've done it a few times though warm because someone bustin my chopps telling me to get it done.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Phily 911 said:
No one said you were crazy. But on the ISB I guess you are suppose to adjust valves cold. I've done it a few times though warm because someone bustin my chopps telling me to get it done.
I know, I am just poking fun. :D I have only adjusted mine hot once (and hope to never have to do it again, OUCH). It was just after I installed a new cam. We went for a drive the following day and when we got off the interstate for a break I noticed the valve train was a little loud. I went over the valves really quick trying to compensate for the thermal expansion, then hit the road again till I could make it home and set them cold. I was just saying that there are some cams out there that the manufacturers state to adjust while hot. Our's just is not once of them . :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts