The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are the advantages to using a Gooseneck trailer vs. a bumper pull, besides being able to haul more weight. I sold my old 7000lb. GVW Single car trailer, and I'm considering a Gooseneck. Would I be better off with a Gooseneck? I mainly haul equipment such as Utility tractors and Skid Steers.

·
128 Posts
well for starters it correctly puts weight directly above the axle, trails better behind tow vehicle, and easier to back up on..

·
milkin cowboy
182 Posts
once you get a GN ya will never look back, they handle alot better much more maneuverable and less stress on the tow vehicle

·
391 Posts
They are much easier to back up. You can jack them around a lot sharper than a bumper pull trailer. They can sometimes be easier to hitch up because you can look and see exactly when you are lined up from the cab.

·
3,754 Posts
it is more manuverable and it helps get some weight up on the front axle.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
1st i would say weight distribution.
more stable easier to back. overall I think you would like it much more than a bumper pull. even though I don't always need a G/N I would prefer it to my 18ft bumper any day. I will hopefully make the switch up one day.

·
114 Posts
They do pull better. They are more maneuverable backing up but when you pass the turning point of a bumper pull it starts to really bind on the trailer especially when heavy and rims can crack, barring damage… etc (if that makes since). They will cut much more than a bumper pull and if the driver doesn’t watch one day they will get a mailbox or something. I think they are one of those deals that with the right operator they are better than a bumper pull…

·
149 Posts
Everyone has already hit all the major advantages to a goose neck trailer but, I would also like to add that a goose neck trailer can be seen by the driver easier than a bumper pull. Most bumper pull trailers that I have towed (at least flat bed trailers) I cannot see behind my dually. With the goose neck you can always see the hitch portion.

LT.

·
242 Posts
My dad owns a trailer manufacturing business and we haul trailers on double stacks on the ground and the worse time the driver has is when pulling one bumperfull behind another, back stack fishtails bad, usually can't go much over 55. Gooseneck up front, 70 no problem. I would even rather take a double stack gooseneck than a single stack bumperpull, FAR better handling.

·
138 Posts
About the only thing I can add,that hasnt already been said..... Is that the turning radius shatters a bumper pull. Where ever you can make a u-turn with the truck you can turn the same turn with a gooseneck...

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Went from a 28' tag box to a 40' GN box and WOW.......the tag would bump/jerk you around(even with WD bars on a F350 DRW) and the GN is like nothing is back there. Puts nice even weight right over the axle and you get NO side sway at all going down the highway.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Went from a 28' tag box to a 40' GN box and WOW.......the tag would bump/jerk you around(even with WD bars on a F350 DRW) and the GN is like nothing is back there. Puts nice even weight right over the axle and you get NO side sway at all going down the highway.
I know, it's night and day difference. The only way to get me to buy another bumper pull is if I had an Excursion or Tahoe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts