The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm in the right section for this. I have a Freightliner I haul my pulling sled with. I'm currently not for hire since it's only used to transport the sled, but have my DOT #, KYU #, IFTA, CDL, log books, etc. I've been approached by someone who wants to put a large advertisement on my sled, but I've been getting mixed signals on whether or not I have to be apportioned or not before I can do this? I don't want to find out the hard way so I appreciate any advice you guys have got. Thanks,

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Hopefully I'm in the right section for this. I have a Freightliner I haul my pulling sled with. I'm currently not for hire since it's only used to transport the sled, but have my DOT #, KYU #, IFTA, CDL, log books, etc. I've been approached by someone who wants to put a large advertisement on my sled, but I've been getting mixed signals on whether or not I have to be apportioned or not before I can do this? I don't want to find out the hard way so I appreciate any advice you guys have got. Thanks,
If you cover the banner when the sled is in transport, it cannot be interpreted as advertisement which is a "for hire" type entity.

I've done this exact thing in the past and fortunately asked the Highway State Police about what we both wanted to do. I had no problems.

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, I'd either have to cover it or go apportioned. I think I'll stay like I am and not do the advertisement since it would be pretty hard to cover, and there's no way it would pay enough money to offset the extra cost of apportioned tags, insurance, etc. Thanks for the help,

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
That's what I was thinking, I'd either have to cover it or go apportioned. I think I'll stay like I am and not do the advertisement since it would be pretty hard to cover, and there's no way it would pay enough money to offset the extra cost of apportioned tags, insurance, etc. Thanks for the help,
Apportioned license plates are only needed if you are over 26k on declared weight and wish to cross state lines repeatedly. Otherwise temp permits will work. Advertising would really make little difference and makes no difference if you remain within the boundries of your home state. If you placard the truck with your name and under it have "not for hire", or "private carrier", you would also be within the confines of the laws as per my understanding but again if over 26k licensed weight, you can't cross state lines without apportionment, or temp trip permits.

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apportioned license plates are only needed if you are over 26k on declared weight and wish to cross state lines repeatedly. Otherwise temp permits will work. Advertising would really make little difference and makes no difference if you remain within the boundries of your home state. If you placard the truck with your name and under it have "not for hire", or "private carrier", you would also be within the confines of the laws as per my understanding but again if over 26k licensed weight, you can't cross state lines without apportionment, or temp trip permits.
I'm tagged at 80k and do cross state lines 6-8 times a year. Not that much but venture into KY quite a bit with the occasional MS, GA, and NC trip. I've always used trip permits because I always figured them to be relatively cheap compared to the apportioned route.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I'm tagged at 80k and do cross state lines 6-8 times a year. Not that much but venture into KY quite a bit with the occasional MS, GA, and NC trip. I've always used trip permits because I always figured them to be relatively cheap compared to the apportioned route.
Yes, for limited travel like that trip permits can be much less expensive than apportionment. I just hate the paperwork involved unless paying a service to take care of it; $$$ over the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts