The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forums. I am picking up a 2006 2500 QC LWB 4x4 on Monday. I wanted opinions on the first mods for better gas mileage, truck has 40 K miles. From what I have gathered it seems that a chip, Muffler delete pipe and air intake seem to be the most popular first choices. Smarty and Bullydog programs seem to be the most common choices. I have also read that a cat delete pipe works well, any issues in Texas with passing inspection? I will be using the truck as my daily driver and to tow 5 K lbs boat/trailer on the weekends. Opinions and advice are appreciated.

Patrick

·
Registered
964 Posts
Seems your on the right track! I'm new to the CR also and have the same thoughts. There are no checks for diesel trucks as of now but things do change! So I would save all parts taken off just in case! Other than that money is the only restriction! Have fun, And welcome to the diesel garage! Post your pic and fill in your signiture!

·
Registered
32 Posts
programmer and exhaust right away cold air shortly after. It will run alot better if it breaths in and exhales good

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking to also install gauges early on so I can see what is going on with the engine.

·
365 Posts
Congratulations on the new rig. I just put the guages on mine. I see it as a cheap insurance policy. I hope to get the BHAF in this week. I would recommend that you start slow. For example, BHAF (or what ever you like), and guages...see what that gets you. Then maybe exhaust, then chip etc...Just my opinion. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do w/ it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Show a pic of your BHAF after you install it and a part # Thanks

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
what do you want to do with the truck. what are you going to use it for. how much power do you want. and how much smoke do you like.. LOL LOL LOL

·
567 Posts
gauges should be one of the first mods you do.....intake, exhaust then give er' the fuel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed BullyDog PMT which includes a choice of guages. I really like the performance and will be adding air intake next along with wheels and tires.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
if you want the stock tranny to last dont add a programmer or chip, however if you get the trans upgraded then you can basically do whatever you want to do...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts