The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and new to diesels all together. I have the opportunity to buy an 08 F250 crew cab Lariat with the 6.4 and 8.6' Fisher MM2 with 39K miles on it for $35K. The truck is loaded with chrome package, chrome side bars, LED hideways, navigation, etc. It has four new tires, new brakes, all fluids just done including an oil change and air filter.
I have done a ton of research on these trucks and other then the obvious poor mpg is this a decent deal or should I "run away" from the 6.4 like some others have told me. Some people have said the 3rd generation of 08 6.4 is great and others say don't go near a 6.4. I do love the truck though. Thoughts??
The build date is 03/08 and the VIN# is 1FTSW21R28ED81767
Thanks in advance!

·
164 Posts
First off welcome to the fourm.

I have a very similar truck and paid a little more than you for the same mileage and options except the 8.6 fisher mm2? what is that? Mine is a JOB 1 and i have not had any issues other than a squeeky belt tensioner. What gears are in the rear end? If you have 3.73s your looking at 12-14 mpgs and tuned is 14-16.5 mpgs. If you have the 3.55 then you should be able to hit 20+ according to a buddy of mine with the same setup as me. I love my truck and would not trade it for one of those new ugly A## 2011 and up trucks. rant over.!

·
212 Posts
Price seems a bit high for the truck, are you going to use the plow? Can you buy the truck without it? As far as a 6.4...mine is solid. Run an Oasis report to make sure all of the service bulletins are taken care of and go for it.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to use the plow so it make sense to buy the truck with it. I'm still waiting on an Oasis report that I requested on this site. I'll sit on it until next week I think before I pull the trigger.

·
410 Posts
I have a 2008 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gears. Not a problem so far @ 28,000. Have pulled a 15,000 lb. load through serious mountain grades and am very satisfied with the truck. Mileage isn't too bad now that it is broken in. 13 in town, 19 highway under 65mph. Mileage is horrible when towing and the gas tank is too small. Mine is totally stock until out of warranty. I would buy another 6.4 if I needed another truck. Very confortable and quiet. I drive a peterbilt most of the time so I really enjoy the quiet of the
Ford. Don't know where your at but the price is a little high for around here, I paid $39K new in 2009.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I've had my '08 F-550 since October '11. has been in shop for 3 under hood repairs on the 6.4L in 5 months of ownership. I have 4.88 rears so it drinks #2 like a college O-lineman drinks beer at a frat party.
Like most of the truck, but dislike the engine.

·
4 Posts
I have had my job 1 08' since February of 09'. I bought it with 5,000 miles on it and have right at 60,000 miles on it now and I have had 0 problems with mine. It is a great truck and a pleasure to own. I would not be afraid to buy another 6.4.
I am very big on maintenance, so I change oil and filter and fuel filters often. I am not rough on my truck and I think that makes a difference on some of the trucks that have had problems.
p.s. I have deleted the dpf, changed air cleaner, and my truck has the KEM Racing tunes ran through the mini max.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Mine makes a really nasty diesel clatter that varies in pitch and volume when you accelerate. Feels like the motor might grenade at any time.

·
9 Posts
I have an f250, 6.4 bought new. 74000 miles, dealer SAID he put a radiator on it at around 20,000 miles, I don't believe it. I know lots of times a dealer will "SQUEAK" something out of warranty for someone by charging it to another truck that's under warranty. Today he said I need an oil cooler, under warranty, but there's no harm in running it a while, sounds fishy to me. I have noticed lately when it's in regen mode there's hardly any smoke, it used to smoke so much in regen mode it almost embarrassed me, should this be going on, dealer just looked dumbfounded when I told him about it. Also seems lately one day 14 mpg, the next 17. Same driving, any ideas? Also will deleting the PDF damage the engine?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I have an f250, 6.4 bought new. 74000 miles, dealer SAID he put a radiator on it at around 20,000 miles, I don't believe it. I know lots of times a dealer will "SQUEAK" something out of warranty for someone by charging it to another truck that's under warranty. Today he said I need an oil cooler, under warranty, but there's no harm in running it a while, sounds fishy to me. I have noticed lately when it's in regen mode there's hardly any smoke, it used to smoke so much in regen mode it almost embarrassed me, should this be going on, dealer just looked dumbfounded when I told him about it. Also seems lately one day 14 mpg, the next 17. Same driving, any ideas? Also will deleting the PDF damage the engine?
I have this problem, but it's random. Almost seems like a stuck injector is pouring fuel into a hole.
It'll smoke like a chimney, then clear itself up. Otherwise no smoke whatsoever. None on regen mode.
IMO, this engine wasn't thoroughly vetted.

·
9 Posts
The dealer told me as far as no smoke or next to no smoke, thats good , it means theres less carbon or soot getting into the Part filter. I think he's full of monkey dung. Seems kinda strange, because it used to REALLY smoke when in the regen mode. Don't get me wrong, I have had NO problems with this engine whatsoever. Nephew has a Dodge Cummins, 97, so has practically no polution on it, its a 3500 dually. Gets great mileage but a friend of his liked his so much he bought a new 3500 Dodge cummins and it gets horrible mileage 12 -14 in town. I get better than that on the worse day. So its all about the pollution crap. I saw where theres an EGR eliminator kit, about $250. that totally eliminated the egr system, causing a tremendous increase in throttle response due to the twin turbos spooling so much faster. And then the particulate filter removal pipe, comes with the ports for all the sensors. Between the two it increases torque almost double and from 15 16 mpg at 65 mph on highway to 21 or better. at 4.25 a gallon, thats a LOT! Was going to trade but have 23,000 miles warranty left but really want to do the EGR and Filter elim. but the warranty will go down. I really cant find any truck I like better than my 08 6.4, its lots better than a stock 6.0, 7.3, and have yet to come up against a Duramax or Cummins, stock, that go by it and most wont run with it. I know my nephew with the 07 cummins with no polution crap wont come near my 6.4. So I guess I'll keep it but darn I would like to get that crap off it, just worried how much it will smoke. Thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts