The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD w/ an E4OD. I am looking to do an intake, exhuast, and chip setup right now. I am looking at a Diamond Eye 5" single turbo-back exhuast. AFE Stage II Intake, and a TS Performance 6 Position chip.

I see a lot of people going with 4" exhuasts, but i'm looking at doing a lot of other mods later i.e. injectors, turbo, intercooler, heads, transmission, propane, etc. Are there any differences besides size, that i should worry about later or should i just go with the 5" exhuast?

Also, i heard chips are better with these older 7.3's than the programmers, what's the best out there right now? I also noticed you guys talking about all the different chips with these different "burns", isn't a burn just basically a custom tuned chip? What would you guys recommend? I want the most power i can get out of this truck, and i want to make my money worth it. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Also, i heard chips are better with these older 7.3's than the programmers,
Given what some of the programmers do and more importantly do not do, I believe that is a good generalization.

what's the best out there right now?
Is now, and always has been an SCT product. SCT is run by a former Ford engineer, and they have the best "kung fu" available for driveability and durability (especially with the transmission functions). They *may* not produce the biggest numbers on the rollers, but they also do not break stuff.

I also noticed you guys talking about all the different chips with these different "burns", isn't a burn just basically a custom tuned chip?
Yes, you got that 100% correct. Each "burn" is a different program, maybe a lot different than the nest, maybe not.

What would you guys recommend?
SCT hands down for reliability.

I want the most power i can get out of this truck, and i want to make my money worth it.
I don't know who's stuff makes the most power, that was never as important to me as durability and having the programming RIGHT.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If i were you i would call Jody or diane tipton at Dp-tuner for the best driveability and performance...very good people to deal with!...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Also does SCT make a chip? I didn't think they did...I always thought it was just a programmer?

·
4,024 Posts
The nice thing about a chip over a programmer is the ability to change the settings quickly.

I usually drive in the 80 econo setting, hook to a 10k trailer switch into 60 tow move the load 5-40 miles, unhook and switch back to econo or 120 if I want to play.

I much prefer the chip to a tuner.

dp tuner would be a great place to go.

·
6,337 Posts
John_G said:
Given what some of the programmers do and more importantly do not do, I believe that is a good generalization.

Is now, and always has been an SCT product. SCT is run by a former Ford engineer, and they have the best "kung fu" available for driveability and durability (especially with the transmission functions). They *may* not produce the biggest numbers on the rollers, but they also do not break stuff.

Yes, you got that 100% correct. Each "burn" is a different program, maybe a lot different than the nest, maybe not.

SCT hands down for reliability.

I don't know who's stuff makes the most power, that was never as important to me as durability and having the programming RIGHT.
Mr. SCT likes to push his stuff... Anyway:loser :Thumbup:

As far as the best stuff, Exhaust= You will be looking at a 3" downpipe, to a 4 or 5" from there, as far as performance... 4" will give you all you will EVER need.

Chip, For the OBS crowd, There is no better then Tony Wildman, Shoot him a PM at twildman. About 80-90% of the OBS guys use his stuff, I have a few burns from him that are very good.

You could save some cash and go for a Tymar intake, instead of the AFE 2... Do they even have a Stage 2 for a OBS??? Hope this helps... Post away, we got lots of ways to get you fast...:Thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts