The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,726 Posts
I have a 4040XL. It's got a good throaty idle and sounds good when you open er up. I got the XL because I had some droan issures with my previous muffler and it virturally eliminated the droan. It also is a little longer and fit really nice where my other muffler was.

I personally wouldn't buy another muffler for a diesel that wasn't an Areoturbine!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,
that's the first good comment that I have read, what was the muffler that it replaced ?

·
1,726 Posts
Not everybody will anny up and buy one. Most people on here probably don't have any muffler at all. User CSIPSD has one and likes it. He will probably see this soon and reply.

The muffler that I had was a straight thru 4" with a bunch of louvers around the inside of it. It had no packing or anything inside it. The muffler was installed so that the exhaust would flow up and over louvers (they wouldn't "catch" the air). I originally just took off the muffler and tailpipe trying to figure out the droan and noticed a big EGT difference. I then put the Areoturbine and tailpipe back on and the EGT stayed exactly the same as no muffler.

A little added FYI my truck has a 3" downpipe because that is all the bigger that will fit in an OBS. So I was really suprised when the "straight thru" 4" muffler made more restriction than a 3" DP.

·
6,337 Posts
I have a 4040 on my truck, if you have a drone sensitive someone in your family then get the 4040XL. It has a resonator in it that is very nice. I saw a EGT drop of 50-75 degrees by adding the aero.

·
Registered
63 Posts
CSIPSD said:
I have a 4040 on my truck, if you have a drone sensitive someone in your family then get the 4040XL. It has a resonator in it that is very nice. I saw a EGT drop of 50-75 degrees by adding the aero.

That 50-75 degrees is that from another muffler to the aero or from a straight pipe to the aero?

·
6,337 Posts
That was adding it to my system with the muffler, I have removed the muffler now but did not see any more drop...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts