The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really worth the money to even make this upgrade? If so several people have told me not to waste my money on the stage 2 but just to get the stage 1. Just wanted some feedback from you all. Thanks for all the help.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
BHAF $32. It is hard to beat that price. There are probably as many opinions out there as there are intakes. Some hate K&N. Some love it. Some hate AFE and some love it. I see it as any aftermarket intake will improve airflow over stock and for "most" people one is as good as the other for increased air. I personally have concerns with any open weave filter because I drive on dirt roads alot. They may work great for others. Think of where and how you drive and base your decision on that coupled with the amount of money you have to spend. All will help. Some just do it a little cheaper and some do it a little better.

p.s. If you fill out your signature block it will help us help you.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the old style AFE set-up from about 3 years ago and it is not even a Pro Guard filter as they were not out yet. I bought mine off Ebay at the time and got the complete intake plus 2 recharge kits for $165, so I got it. I have been completely 100% pleased with mine. I drive on a lot of gravel roads and have no problems with dust getting past my filter. I also bought a Outerwears pre-filter to put over it and that helps tremendously, plus it is waterproof just in case.

I had a BHAF on my old 1st Gen and was pleased with it. So I can not say one is better than the other. I do think the AFE does flow just a little better than the BHAF though. Is it enough to jutify the difference in price now days, I don't know. If I didn't get a deal on my AFE I would be running a BHAF.

·
Registered
311 Posts
drummerboydw,

Yes and no, depends on you and how hot you plan to make the truck. The Stage II gets you a much larger filter which gets you more flow, do you need it, depends on the mods you have or plan to add. It has a larger steel air box, the 5.5 inch intake tube all the way to the turbo etc etc. It does flow more, but again if you plan medium mods a Stage I will do what you need. Plan to add sticks and turbo and maybe stacking boxes, go for the Stage II! Lots of our cutsomers get the STage II in PG7 so they don't have to add a sock and the slight restriction the PG7 has over the standard filter is offset by the Stage II's larger filter and intake tube vs a Stage I, just an idea. By the way we have a sale on them either way you plan to go.

Mark @ DPPI

·
3,514 Posts
We put a stage 1 on an 01 making over 500hp on fuel and that did just fine. On my truck I run a K&N. The BHAF works great too. IMO unless you are going for all out everything, you don't need it. And if you run twins the box won't always fit and the intake tube definitely won't so its no good anyways.
Sean

·
80 Posts
if youre worried about filtering look at AEM. they filter really good.look at their website. ya i know its a ricer brand but it works, just dont get a supersized sticker and put across your windshield!

·
Registered
422 Posts
A problem with the BHAF is that if the paper filter gets wet, the filter is toast. however, on a cold air intake such as the AFE stage 1 it comes with a shield to protect it from the elements and also a water resistant prefilter can be added to prevent water from passing through the actual filter. It is possible in a heavy rainstorm for the BHAF to become damp and not perform as well and possibly damage the filter perminately. We put a AFE progard 7 on a 1996 dodge with a turned up pump a plate and exhaust system, not only did it drop idleing temps 100 degrees and 250 degrees in the floor, but it also prevented the vaccum meter from sucking down. definately a benifit

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
TOYZILLA383 said:
if youre worried about filtering look at AEM. they filter really good.look at their website. ya i know its a ricer brand but it works, just dont get a supersized sticker and put across your windshield!
What?! Don't you know those stickers add another 20hp? They give you almost as much power gain as a whale tail. LOL LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts