The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....I always hear that my 190's,200's...ect flow better than yours....What is the industries standard for what injectors flow. How do I know I have 200's. What makes a injector a 200 or what will make it flow better. What standards are the vendors setting to achieve consistency. How do I know my #2 injector is flowing the same volume that my #6 injector is flowing. Who is having them flow to a spec..

There are so many unanswered questions about injectors and what specifications our vendors are keeping.Hopefully they will shed some light on to what they do our how it should be done.

This is not another vendor bashing thread. This is to get light on this subject.

Also for the record....Im not running 200's:smoke

·
979 Posts
From what I know Hypermax is the only place that has an actual flow bench to test 6.0 injectors. When they built my last set, they sent me a fax on what each one flowed. They were all within about 5 of each other. from the highest one to the lowest one.

For the record, you buy injectors on trust. You trust how they work. From what I have found, this may be wrong so don't shoot me, there is an area of the injector that holds fluid. You measure this and that is the size. Then the builder has to know the pulse width of the 6.0 uses that to figure out how large the nozzles need to be. But as far as testing them to see if there theories are right, not happening. You have to take the builders word for it.

I have seen injectors from 3 different vendors on here. I can definetly tell a difference between the way they function. You just need to build have trust in you injectors builder and good enough. You can't compare numbers. I am convinced that my 247cc injectors flow more than one other companies 285's.

·
3,306 Posts
lubeowner said:
From what I know Hypermax is the only place that has an actual flow bench to test 6.0 injectors.
Hey lube, i was told in the other injector thread that josh at spartan diesel, Casserly, and Elite also have a flow bench to test their injectors, not just hypermax.

·
979 Posts
strokin6L said:
Hey lube, i was told in the other injector thread that josh at spartan diesel, Casserly, and Elite also have a flow bench to test their injectors, not just hypermax.
I do not believe this is to be true, but I don't know for sure. If any vendor has a flow bench that fits the 6.0 injector, they would know if they have it. Why don't any of them post and say, "I put every completely assembled 6.0 injectors on our flow bench before they are sent out."? Read that post again. lvtitan is the one who says he "knows" Josh has one. Then later states that it is to test the nozzels. Big difference having a flow bench for the nozzle and one for the whole injector. For a nozzle test you can put any pump and flow some diesel through it for a length of time and rate it. For a fully assembled injector you have to have an HPO source, a fuel pump and something to put the injector in to get the fuel in the injectors. That would take a fair amount of machine work. For a cummin or dmax injector you just need the fuel pump and you can make it. Their injectors also have screw on lines that are very easy to dupilcate. With the 6.o you almost have to have a head to mount it in. I just don't see anyone doing this. But like I said before, I don't know for sure. Even if they don't that doesn't make anything wrong with their injectors.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
lubeowner said:
.....From what I have found, this may be wrong so don't shoot me, there is an area of the injector that holds fluid. You measure this and that is the size.....
So it is just a physical measurement of the chamber? I thought they actually flowed it by simulating diesel fuel flow through it at operating conditions.

Ralph

·
always looking for more
419 Posts
I'm subscribing to this one. Hope to learn something here... Robts, great post. It would be good to have Josh and Tadd weigh in here, as I'm sure given time they will. I'm interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

·
59 Posts
ralphinnj said:
So it is just a physical measurement of the chamber? I thought they actually flowed it by simulating diesel fuel flow through it at operating conditions.

Ralph
From what I understand this is correct, the actual specification of for example a 190cc injector actually means that the injector is supposed to deliver 190 cc of fuel in 1000 cycles.

Theoretically to come up with this number the only information you would need would be plunger stroke and barrel diameter. I believe this is how most injectors are rated. However to really see how an individual injector (or injector set) performs you would need a bench set up to determine actual flow characteristics during operation.

I don't know if this helped or muddied the waters :shrug:

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
I think there is more to it than just choosing a bore and a stroke and then cutting away. We see different levels of performance from the same size injector depending on who you get it from. Which means either that the various vendors can't calculate right (which I really doubt), or there is more to this than just pi*r^2*h.

Ralph

·
310 Posts
******* 6.0 is correct , industrial does have a flow bench,

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
taco_style said:
******* 6.0 is correct , industrial does have a flow bench,
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21683

I have not heard much good from II on the 6.0 stuff. Hopefully they get it right soon. My bench started as a 6.0 cylinder head and rocker box. Right now it is just used to pressure test the spools, and check for fuel leaks. I am working with a friend who works for a logistics company and we are building a controller to pulse the spools at an adjustable pulse width. I feel this is neccecary because pulse width varies dependent upon what ficm flash the truck has. Up to a 25% difference. And running the bench without an adjustable pulse would be pointless. But as for now my nozzles are flowed to match one another and all internal tolerences are within factory specs.

·
310 Posts
iv only heard of a few problems from II, unfortunatly some of them were on my truck, we had some nosle problems and i think they were adm machined, now they are extrude hone, and the fass 180 system wasnt keeping up, my fuel pressure was dropping to 40 psi, now i have a diffrent spring in the pump and the filter housing and im running 60 psi, but now i think my pickup tube is possibly cracked at a 1/4 tank i started sucking air the other day, so im installing the fass pick up tube....., all is well so far, and im loving the truck.

·
59 Posts
ralphinnj said:
I think there is more to it than just choosing a bore and a stroke and then cutting away. We see different levels of performance from the same size injector depending on who you get it from. Which means either that the various vendors can't calculate right (which I really doubt), or there is more to this than just pi*r^2*h.

Ralph
I completely agree, however with injectors selection of nozzles is just as important if not more important than actual volume delivery. Fuel atomization, spray pattern and droplet size all have a profound effect on final performance. This may account for some of the differences being observed in performance levels. A fuel injector is really the sum of it's parts and if everything is not appropriately matched the result is a variance in overall performance.

·
775 Posts
Isn't an injector just a hi tech plunger? If you machine them to tight tollerances so the volume is the same, the only item that would make a difference is the nosles. So if you have a nosle flow tester, and that shows that they all flow the same, doesn't that mean they will all flow the same plus or minus a very small amount. I mean if you want it be exact, you would have to take your engine into consideration. The resistanse in the wires that connect to each injector- longer wires have more ohms then short ones so you would have change the guage of each wire and then temp afects the ohms of wires. This could give you a real head ake. OUCH!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
heavyhaller said:
Isn't an injector just a hi tech plunger? If you machine them to tight tollerances so the volume is the same, the only item that would make a difference is the nosles. So if you have a nosle flow tester, and that shows that they all flow the same, doesn't that mean they will all flow the same plus or minus a very small amount. I mean if you want it be exact, you would have to take your engine into consideration. The resistanse in the wires that connect to each injector- longer wires have more ohms then short ones so you would have change the guage of each wire and then temp afects the ohms of wires. This could give you a real head ake. OUCH!

That is why the pcm pulls or adds fuel to balance rotational value per each individual injector. :Thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts