The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve all experienced it, getting ready to go hunting, camping, working around the house, we get the truck all loaded and notice the backend is sagging a bit or maybe even squatting on the bump stops.

Air bags or Helper springs if you want to call them that, help remove the sag and sway of the vehicle when fully loaded. It is important to know that air bags will not increase the vehicles GVW, they are there to stabilized your load be it towing a fifth-wheel trailer or hauling your camper, quad deck or a load of dirt for the yard.

Air bags are available in a verity of configurations starting with what is called manual inflation; this is a basic kit that has a set of reed valve placed in a convent location for filling at a gas station.

More elaborate system use on board air. This is normally supplied with a small volume air compressor, inflate and deflate switches and a pressure gauge mounted within the cab for ease of inflation. Activating switches range anywhere from simple paddle switches to wireless remotes.

For a better Idea of what is available out there for in-cab configurations lets get some of the people running these system show us your pics

·
2,106 Posts
Hmmm..... I saw one not too long ago, on the tire shop actually, that said it increased weight capacity by 5500 lbs. I understand that doesn't matter at all to the weight rating of the truck tho.

·
2,126 Posts
It won't make your truck 'able' to carry more weight but it will make it so that you can carry it much safer. I've had them on two rigs and they are better than sliced bread, especially with a compressor onboard.

·
2,106 Posts
I've been itchin for a set... I gotta start gettin kinda sneaky for a while on truck mods though. I spent too much too fast around thanksgivin on the truck and wife is tryin to cut me off... from spending money on the truck that is...

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I'm interested, but I have so many questions: Is it true that if they are allowed to go "flat", they can be ruined? Are they damaged when a truck is put on a lift for repairs?

Also, my truck can be fitted with front adjustable helper air-shocks, too.

Are these worth buying? If no air was in them, would they get screwed-up? What kind of ride do they have with no air in them (if they went flat)?

·
Wanna be door swinger
422 Posts
With all the years I have had with class 8 truck suspensions I haven't seen a ruined bag from running them flat...just bad driveline angles if these are the only suspension peices used (another words no leaf springs used). They and the shocks can be damaged if you put the truck on a lift, but again this is with out leaf spings and/or a limiting strap.

The helper bags are very worth the puchase price. There are to many people towing and hualing things that overtax the stock suspension. If you do have a stock suspension with the bags flat, your ride will be the same as it was without them. I would highly suggest that if you do put a helper system on, go and spend the extra money for a onboard air compressor, the right gauges, and valveing.

·
1,445 Posts
I have a set of air lift bags on my F 150 soon to be on the F 350 I have to compresors one for each bag and gauges are in a piller mount pod and I had the switches mounted buy the electric 4x4 selector and it worked great for pulling the 26 foot aluminum plate boat for comercial fishing

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideally you want to run a min of 5 to 8 psi in the bags as over a long period of time it will ware them.

When putting the truck on a lift the axel should be straped or chained this will prevent the bags from failure as a result of over traveling.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Ideally you want to run a min of 5 to 8 psi in the bags as over a long period of time it will ware them.

When putting the truck on a lift the axel should be straped or chained this will prevent the bags from failure as a result of over traveling.
Yes, this is what I heard, too.

You have to treat air bags carefully when you put the truck on a lift.

Harold, do you know much about the GM front airbag/shock? Gotten any feeback as to if they're worth it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had a few customers ask me about them I've just never had the time to do the research. As I get time though I will post my findings.

·
2,126 Posts
I ran them on my 02 F250 and on my 05 Excursion and they are awesome for any type of load hauling, especially if you have a lot of tongue weight on a big enclosed trailer. I didn't put them on the last F350 because it had enough rake to it and we got an excursion to pull our snowmobile trailer around with.

·
121 Posts

When putting the truck on a lift the axel should be strapped or chained this will prevent the bags from failure as a result of over traveling.
Crawl under the truck while the full weight is on the suspension and chain the rear axel using a bolt through a link to the frame near each rear wheel. I learned the hard way that a rope isn't up to the task. The bags can also be damaged if they're compressed to about 3" or less which can happen on an overloaded truck like my old F350 if the bag springs a leak!

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I have bags, they are nice. i just need a compressor and in cab toys for it. :thumbsup

·
2,126 Posts
The in-cab controller is nice.

·
1,445 Posts
I have bags, they are nice. i just need a compressor and in cab toys for it. :thumbsup
check jc whitny I got to compressors, gauges, and switches for mine and it works great and I can level it side to side and front to back. It was a little more than just buying the setup with one compresor and the control for side to side and front to back all in one but the to compresors work faster than just one and they also have a kit that has an air tank and an auto leveling setup but that was way to much for me good luck

·
Misplaced Alaskan
32 Posts
I have enjoyed having the bags on my truck. What a difference. the bounce over bumps rides with more control and the truck feels like it's riding where it's suppose to. I would like an "in cab" controller sometime soon though.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Harold,

I think I have decieded to run Pac Brake bags in conjunction with air lifts Quick Shot single compressor kit. My question is that pac brake bags mount inside the frame rail, which makes the bag taller I know. But does it effect ride or anything comepared to the Firestone bags etc. I really like the billet alm. end caps on your alls bags. can you tell me what if any drilling is required on a 2007.5 Ram 2500 4x4?
I started a thread with the details of what I want to run before I remember this was here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harold,

I think I have decieded to run Pac Brake bags in conjunction with air lifts Quick Shot single compressor kit. My question is that pac brake bags mount inside the frame rail, which makes the bag taller I know. But does it effect ride or anything comepared to the Firestone bags etc. I really like the billet alm. end caps on your alls bags. can you tell me what if any drilling is required on a 2007.5 Ram 2500 4x4?
I started a thread with the details of what I want to run before I remember this was here.
Thanks.
No the bags will not alter your ride quality, this is a no drill kit that will bolt right up in place of your bump stops.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
i have some on my truck. not sure what brand but they work good. they are hooked up seperately from eachother so they really help with swaying. i need to get 3 gauges and a controller for mine since i already have a compressor and tank.

Garrett

1 - 20 of 32 Posts