The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC is cold when I accelerate and then when I come to idle at a light or park, it gets warm again. If I rev up the engine while stopped, it will get cold again.

I will be shipping her to Bahrain in 3 days due to my transfer there and would really like to have a cold AC before I get to the devils armpit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
296 Posts
drive really fast with the windows done you will be fine :haha

·
11 Posts
When the refrigerant is low, the pressure drops too low at idle and the system pressure switch deactivates the compressor clutch. AS the RPM's increase the system pressure increases enough to re-engage the clutch.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RJ, I will fill her up this afternoon. Big help and saves me tons of $$$$

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
When the refrigerant is low, the pressure drops too low at idle and the system pressure switch deactivates the compressor clutch. AS the RPM's increase the system pressure increases enough to re-engage the clutch.
You get the same symptoms with a bad fan clutch. When you stop, airflow of the condensor also stops, causing a spike in high-side pressures which kicks out the compressor. That's the bad part, you can't tell w/o gauges if the compressor stopped for high or low pressure. The good part is you CAN easily check the fan drive. Immediately after shutting off a HOT engine, try to spin the fan by hand, if it moves freely or has play it's junk.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a can in it and it seems to have fixed it. Drove it for 2 days before putting it on the ship. I guess I will really know when I hit that 130 degree weather in Bahrain. thanks for the help all!!

·
1,836 Posts
oil leaks with the refrigerant, might want to add a 2 oz can with every other makeup can of refrigerant. To little oil is very expensive, to much is lower effiency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts