The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen these airlift airsprings for the rear of pickups, but could they be installed in the front on a 4x4 between the frame and axle? that way I could run a softer spring, and add air when loaded.

also I could run airbags on rear and connect all 4 together. who has thought of this?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
they make airbags for the front as well... its a different part #. you are still supposed to run a minimum of 5-10 psi of air all the time in the bags so they dont rupture... also if you do airbags and tie all them together your pretty much eliminating the point of doing airbags... if a load gets on one bag air will transfer to the bag with least resistance.. need to have a seperate hose going to each bag so they are all doing theyre jobs!!

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
This is a good idea, I will check into to see if they make them for GM's.

I originally had my rear bags seperated, and since have tied them together. I got tired of trying to "even" them out going down the road. Maybe it's just me, but it drove me crazy watching the dual guage on the dash. Now I run them together on one needle, and tank pressure on the other.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, i guess tying all 4 bags together would be foolish, but i was looking for a cool way to ride smoother when unloaded, i figured I could mess with pulling leaves out and adding bags for a smoother ride+ added capacity.....

just a thought

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
air ride suspension makes things smoother.... airbags like we are talking about actually make it ride rougher when unloaded...

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
i would definitely keep every bag on a separate line. the bags on my ford are on seperate lines and it really helps with sway. rather than air coming out of one and to the other which would NOT help with sway it keeps it all in check.

for example, this was a really light load but being kinda top heavy it had a lot of sway when turning. i stopped halfway on the trip there and put air in the bags and it helped tremendously.

Garrett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts