The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on putting a suncoast stage IV in my truck this summer. a friend of mine said he'd do the install. he's a mechanic by trade and has rebuilt plenty of trannys...no allisons though...anyone know of any tricks or tips i can pass on to him?

thanks

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
its heavy? LOL

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The first piece of advice Mike L gave me was to start getting familiar with the ATSG manual on the 1000/2000.

·
182 Posts
The first piece of advice Mike L gave me was to start getting familiar with the ATSG manual on the 1000/2000.
x2 good advice.

I'd also recommend buying from a known allison builder. Its mostly to support them, plus they will give you any over the phone help, guidance, and tips you would need, most do it even if you don't buy from them. I'd buy from them knowing that alone!

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
im still debating on how I want to go about this...part of me wants my good friend to do it.(with a suncoast kit)..he lives close, i know he's a good mechanic.

another part wants someone that knows what their doing do it with a good rep, but I dont want to have to deal with taking my trans out, having my truck sit there for however long with no trans, shipping it, etc etc OR driving to CA or whereever to have them do it while I wait a day or two or a week.

and another part just wants to buy the complete suncoast trans, swap them out myself, be done in a few hours and send my trans in as a core...

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
OUCH the stage 5 is just a stage 4 in a pretty new coat of paint LOL

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I would try calling one of the reputable re-builders. I talked to Mike L and he has been a huge help. That guy is awesome. It says a lot that a guy with that rep will take the time to keep you from screwing up your Allison. I bought my Stage IV from PPE and my converter is coming from PI.

I don't know any shops in TX or I would try to point you in the right direction.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have heard of a good one in MD....anyone ever heard of someone there?

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Big Dipper in Baltimore? I don't know if he's on here. He's on at least one Duramax forum, though.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im still debating on weather or not to keep the truck since im not even home 8 months a year....so we'll see about everything else

1 - 11 of 11 Posts