The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what thoughts have you guys got on Allison licensing Torotrak's IVT design for the next Allison 1000. Would it be upgradeable to handle more power or would you be stuck at stock? Would it be able to handle more power without any upgrades? What's the ideas or thoughts on this?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
I saw the article on this is diesel power but I dont really understand how it works.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Big, bad, CVT. There is some info out there. It's interesting but I would hate to think what they would charge for it.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

From what I gather there are six main parts. the first green disk is attached to the engine and spins 1:1 with the engine. the blue disks are hydraulically controlled to apply power to the middle yellow disk, the second set of blue disks are for applying power to the final green disk. The angles of the blue disks determine the speed and direction the transmission turns.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
So what determines the ratio?

·
10 Posts
I don't know a thing about the allison i work for john deere and we came out with the ivt transmission long before anyone in cars thought about it. From my experience with these it would and ours on the jd side hold up to power much better than a conventional transmission. In theory they are much simpler and less parts to go bad. We have yet to have transmission failures in these why we are still fixing new powershift transmissions (same concept as an automatic).

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that JD has them in certain tractors and they work very well in keeping the tractors in the optimum power range no matter the conditions. How are they at handling more horse power over stock?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm well we can only speculate on what Allison does. With Allison's help the IVT may be viable or it could be a hunk of junk. Only time will tell.

·
2,063 Posts
Honda and Nissan use them in their car with great luck. Why can't we? Most transmission are scale able, it is just primary design that makes them work or fail.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda and Nissan use them in their car with great luck. Why can't we? Most transmission are scale able, it is just primary design that makes them work or fail.
Those are CVT (continuously variable transmission) and not quite the same thing as the IVT (Infinitely variable transmission). They use a steel band or a belt on two pulleys, one that is cone shaped that separates the faster the engine spins thus increasing speed, very similar to a snowmobile transmission.

The idea is the same but the method use to achieve power transfer is not. The IVT keeps the engine in the optimum operating range while a CVT often needs higher revs to keep the vehicle moving.

·
49 Posts
I knew that JD has them in certain tractors and they work very well in keeping the tractors in the optimum power range no matter the conditions. How are they at handling more horse power over stock?

The ones in the John Deeres work awsome, but they actually have to teach you how to use them. If they didn't work then they would not have eliminated the option for a powershift in the new 8530's, their biggest non articulated tractor. Constant power to the ground equals maximum efficiency. As far working in a pick up im not to sure though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts