The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the weekend i took the allison out of my 03 dmax and put a zf6 in with a south bend double disk. Had some problems with the fly wheel and the pilet bearing had two of the wrong bearings. Needed two turn out the center of the fly wheel for the pilet bearing. But thats no problem now. I dont have much for a pedal on the clutch. Im pretty sure that i got most of the air out of the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing. Most of the time i cannt get it in gear. I have to start it in gear. But i did noice that the throw bearing doesnt start turning till the pedal is almost on the floor. Does the throw out bearing have to be shimmed out to be closer to the clutch out something. Anyone have this happen or have any input? Maybe i have to just run it and see if it gets better. Any input would be appreciated thankx.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
why would you take the allison out in the first place? jw

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would you take the allison out in the first place? jw
well i never really cared to much for the allison. wouldnt stand up to what i wanted it to. and i just have always wanted this truck with a 6 speed and let me tell you what a whole different animal i love it. it was not cheap but maybe worth it.

·
1,705 Posts

·
572 Posts
Are the clutch assembly and hydrolics designed to work together? As in Is the slave and master out of a Chevy, and the Clutch out of a zf6 (assuming ford)? You could be running into a compatability problem.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the clutch assembly and hydrolics designed to work together? As in Is the slave and master out of a Chevy, and the Clutch out of a zf6 (assuming ford)? You could be running into a compatability problem.
the slave and the master are brand new. everything is brand new for chevy but the tranny was remaned. it is not getting better at all im guna call south bend tomarrow and see what they say.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
They just don't take the abuse some of us dish out LOL. Long live the ZF6
running 1000hp through your zf6 like Keith(nastygirl) is through his alli?:haha:wedgie

·
1,705 Posts
No,just hard use. Tow 30,000lbs at 400-500rwhp levels :roflol: Kieth has parts average joe done't know about/can't get :poke. I've spoken with some other guys about his trans sitation.

Overall ZF is a lot stronger for the money it costs to keep em together. There are 2 out there knocking on that 1000hp mark and onnly think they have done is broke outputs once. Allys break way more parts getting to that mark.

running 1000hp through your zf6 like Keith(nastygirl) is through his alli?:haha:wedgie

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
meh, i hate rowing gears, it gets really old to me after a while, but if thats what gets ya excited then who am i to judge? :happymugs

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh, i hate rowing gears, it gets really old to me after a while, but if thats what gets ya excited then who am i to judge? :happymugs
lol the rowing is gettin to me already but i just turn up the radio and roll the windows down. but really happy with it over the alli.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 04 chevy with the 5spd allison and been wanting to do a 6spd manual in it too. Did you have to change out the transfer case or will the one on the allison fit the 6spd too? and where is the best places to find all the parts needed to do the conversion on everything?

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 04 chevy with the 5spd allison and been wanting to do a 6spd manual in it too. Did you have to change out the transfer case or will the one on the allison fit the 6spd too? and where is the best places to find all the parts needed to do the conversion on everything?
the transfer case will work. i got all my parts from the gm dealer but they gave me a hard time. i got the tranny from dan at midwest transmissions and the clutch also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info.... still kinda confused bout what all has to be done with the computer if anything and if you redid ur steering colum to get rid of the auto shifter... and if u encounterd any problems.....any additional info will help...thanks a lot:shrugs

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.... still kinda confused bout what all has to be done with the computer if anything and if you redid ur steering colum to get rid of the auto shifter... and if u encounterd any problems.....any additional info will help...thanks a lot:shrugs
ummm i didnt do anything with the computer. i took the box off the side of the tranny and strapped it to the side of the frame. you got to make sure the tranny is in park or neutral that way it will start. i didnt take the shifter out i left it there to make people think a lil bit. the clutch pedal gave me a hard time it was not fun at all. im still haveing problems with my throw out bearing gettin all the air out of it. i cannt think of anything else rite now besides i cannt shift it fast enough lol and i wish it had more gears. but if you want to know anything more just ask and i will try to help out.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
ummm i didnt do anything with the computer. i took the box off the side of the tranny and strapped it to the side of the frame. you got to make sure the tranny is in park or neutral that way it will start. i didnt take the shifter out i left it there to make people think a lil bit. the clutch pedal gave me a hard time it was not fun at all. im still haveing problems with my throw out bearing gettin all the air out of it. i cannt think of anything else rite now besides i cannt shift it fast enough lol and i wish it had more gears. but if you want to know anything more just ask and i will try to help out.
Did you find a pull-out pedal set? The ZF uses a hydraulic throw-out right?

I like the swap idea. It makes me want to make an LMM/ZF-6 just to be different.

·
1,705 Posts
I want one too Josh ;). When you ge the peddle mounts figured out I'll build one :thumbsup.

I like the swap idea. It makes me want to make an LMM/ZF-6 just to be different.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

no i didnt find a pull out pedal set i wish i could. i had to get a new one from gm. yea it does use a hydraulic throw out. i like that idea of a LMM/ZF-6 but the pedal could be a problem. but good luck if you try it. :happymugs

·
1,705 Posts
I bet I can get ahold of a used setup. I found a place that had a wrecked 02 ZF6 truck but it's parted. I'll prolly snag the stuff up later and maybe play with it :D. Man I'd like an LMM 1ton SRW longbed with a ZF6 :woohoo

no i didnt find a pull out pedal set i wish i could. i had to get a new one from gm. yea it does use a hydraulic throw out. i like that idea of a LMM/ZF-6 but the pedal could be a problem. but good luck if you try it. :happymugs

1 - 20 of 51 Posts