The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 2+ years since I spun on a new ally filter. Want to get 'er done tonight in the garage. I can't remember if there's substantial loss of fluid. (I'm getting old, I guess-forgetting more than I remember LOL).

Can someone give me a quick review?

I'm just getting started on yr end equip maintenance and man I have a lot to do.....:gaah

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
If you only pulling the external filter off, a pint of so will come out. Your best bet though would be to do a drain and refill on the transmission at the same time. Thankfully, our transmission pans do have a drain plug, so you dont have to drop the pan.

Also, when you take the old filter off, dont forget to remove/clean/reinstall the donut magnet.

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so removing the filter results in loss of a pint? I have about 45,000 on my current fluid, which is transynd. I'm going to try to milk another 10-15K out of it. Dealer tells me 100K on the fluid under "normal" service conditions, so if I go 55-60K, I should be safe.

I tow, but not everyday.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Roughly a pint, yes. I would check your owners manual. Mine says normal service is 50K miles, severe duty is 25K miles.

Reactions: Duke

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Duke if you haven't changed the spin-on in 2+ years you really need to inspect the magnet when you pull. I might even cut that old filter in half and look at the color of the media.

One pint is about right. When you switched to transynd did you hoot it or just drain the pan and refill?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I mispoke. I change the filter 1X per year, but the last time it was done, one of my guys did it, not me. The last time I did it personally was 2 years ago. That's why i forgot about how much fluid loss there was. I have extra fluid to top it off in my shop.

I had the fluid changed at the local Allison shop. They removed & flushed all the stock fluid at ~5-10K miles and replaced it with transynd. I remember using that stuff in an F-700/ally auto I used to have and it's good stuff.

I will keep the filter and cut it open to check it, but don't expect any problems. Truck shifts like the day I bought it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done. Took me 5 min with coffee break. Forgot how easy. Fluid looks a nice medium red. Just a few real tiny particles suck to magnet.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Good deal. I was afraid it had been two years since it was changed. I change mine out when I change the fuel filter. It's cheap insurance since the fluid ran over $100 and the trans is a little spendy to rebuild. After rebuilding my other Allison I know the internal filter is more like a grease trap than a filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts