The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace rear end cover with finned alum. cover.What rear end do I have? WHERE is the cheapest and best place to get one? Thanks ,here is vin #
1FTNW21P24ED51285:F250 cc 4x4 SD.

·
274 Posts
just save yourself a bunch of money and buy yourself a 08-10 one thats what i have its was cheap and all you need is longer bolts

·
274 Posts
dana 60

·
5 Posts

·
38 Posts
no need to go aftermarket for a finned aluminum diff cover. the 2008-2010 diff cover is both. it retrofits (according to the forums) back to '99.
I know it fits the 2005 F-250, because i just put one on my truck a week ago. you do have to get longer bolts, i went with 1/4" longer than stock. fluid capacity is the same.
i found it online through ebay from a dealership in PA for @$52 with $12 S+H. I took that info to my local dealership and told them i wanted to keep my money local. they price matched and then when i went to pay at the window, they gave me a military discount. go with Ford, [email protected]$250 over Mag-Hytec, does the same thing too, wierd.

·
310 Posts
so if i switch to an 08-10 what do i benefit from may be a dumb ? but.

·
1,060 Posts
so if i switch to an 08-10 what do i benefit from may be a dumb ? but.
the bennefit is your cooling ability is increased, lowering the fluid temp in your axel housings, under high load they get hot! The differance between mag-hy and the 08-10 is that you wont be adding a few extra qt of fluid to it as well for a lot less. some that run heavy often might want the extra fluid as it takes longer to heat up more oil.
Alot of class 6-7-8 trucks (staight body and semi's) will run temp probes in the axels as well to keep those temps in check, they get too hot and they will fail.

·
310 Posts
oh i get you now...well i really don't pull anything but will sometime

·
38 Posts
I agree with trip. i replaced mine because my diff cover was leaking and i couldn't get it to stop. i pull a 12k lb 5th wheel trailer at highway speeds. i thought it was a good cheap investment. the extra fluid sounds good, but you run a synthetic diff fluid in there anyway. IMHO, the more fluid = more heat retention. therefore, it would negate the the cooling fins and different metal qualities. oh yeah, looks kewl too.

·
855 Posts
Picked up a 08-10 diff cover from Dfuser, came with all hardware needed to install the cover at a great price. Even thought I have a deep dish trans pan and 4 extra quarts of oil in it, there is some truth with the oil quanity. The more oil the longer to heat up, more oil longer to cool off. I like the looks of the 08 diff cover and the deep dish pan on my truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts