The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some cat engines and the block and heads were aluminumI have not run across anything like them.Ill try and get some pics and # off of them,anyone know anything about them?

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
never seen an alum block from any HD diesel MFG?

·
248 Posts
Maybe something military. I was at a military surplus place down in salt lake UT and they had several 353,453, and 653 Detroit's that were aluminum blocks, I can't remember if the heads were or not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe something military. I was at a military surplus place down in salt lake UT and they had several 353,453, and 653 Detroit's that were aluminum blocks, I can't remember if the heads were or not.[

:confused:i agree this are military, engines marine i don't know but this isn't strait aluminum block this had insert metal where this need it, because Looks like a classic example of electrolysis. Not sure, but I believe that's why Caterpillar replaced the aluminum adapter plates on 3196 after-coolers with bronze adapter plates.Aluminum is a highly sacrificial metal, therefore vulnerable to electrolytic or galvanic corrosion. It's also a lightweight and ductile metal, susceptible to fatigue from vibration induced stress. It also has a high thermal expansion coefficient, which makes it vulnerable to expansion/contraction related fatigue. maybe in small engines like bobcat, alumium head this is old in others engine diesel:confused:

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I'm sure they are military,he said he thought they are from some type of something amphibious

·
2,555 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts