The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from the shop. The rear diff looked bad with a little 1/8 chunk of metal on the bottum magnet/plug. The transfer case was still in good shape, fluid already smelled like Amsoil.

The front diff, now thats a differant story! Fluid came out looking like molassus(sp?). Yellowish, somewhat, but took about 45 minutes to drain with both plugs pulled and it was close to being chunky! I flushed it with some brake cleaner, and before you guys start in on not using that in there, with as bad as it came out, I had too. After soaking it, I flushed with some 75-90 then plugged the bottum back up and filled her until it was puking out heavily.

I am now sure of those three fluids. I will be waiting to do the trans and engine until whats in the engine is close to time. Since they just filled it with Valvoline Blue at the dealer after doing the Head Gaskets I am going to let it reside in there for a while. That way I know the heads are seated and tightened properly. I would hate to find out they did it wrong and waste $100 in 5W-30 HDD and filter!

Wish I had my camera to show you guys,
Tony

·
3,939 Posts

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think the dealers procedurs include changing the driveline fluids, which is obvious. But I intended to replace them anyways, so now I have a good piece of mind about them.

Thanks for the link to the updated breather cap.

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts