1,327 Posts
did ford lower their power ratings?

just wondering

·
Powerstroker
58 Posts

·
1,415 Posts
I still want to know if anyone has tested the higher rated 6.7 against the chev. this one was done with the lower one. Ford brought an F-250 4WD Super Duty Crew Cab shortbed in Lariat trim to the rodeo. It delivers 735 lb-ft of torque at 1,600 rpm and 390 hp at 2,800 rpm from its all-new 6.7-liter V-8 turbodiesel

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts

·
680 Posts
It's an older test using the pre-400hp 6.7L powerstroke.
If you missed the the Diesel Power/Pickuptrucks.com King of the Hill test where they pair a 400hp 6.7L F-350 and an 397hp Chevy 6.6L 3500
http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6729984/diesel-trucks/2011-chevy-silverado-3500-duramax-vs-2011-ford-f-350-power-stroke/index.html

Its a pre- 400hp 6.7 ???? The artical is this month, this year. Was the editor living under a rock ?? How about the " seat of the pants dyno ". How about some credibility. Stick with the diesel power mag test. At least theres more credibility in the artical.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
I had no idea the LML was 60% new parts.. some gave me the impression it was a "minor" upgrade.

Seat of the pants is what sold me on the GM too, I won't lie.. drove all 3, liked the Chevy best.. Handling, acceleration, ride, and over all curb appeal. I had no empirical date in front of me when I made the choice. But these guys did do a tow test too, right?

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
It's an older test using the pre-400hp 6.7L powerstroke.
If you missed the the Diesel Power/Pickuptrucks.com King of the Hill test where they pair a 400hp 6.7L F-350 and an 397hp Chevy 6.6L 3500
http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6729984/diesel-trucks/2011-chevy-silverado-3500-duramax-vs-2011-ford-f-350-power-stroke/index.html

yeah this says it all...

After our initial ’11-model-year-truck testing last summer in Michigan, we were left wondering how the high-output (400 hp) version of the new 6.7L Power Stroke would have faired against the 397hp 6.6L LML Duramax. Surely with 800 lb-ft of torque, the new Super Duty should give the 765-lb-ft Duramax a run for its money in a test of power, right?

Nope. It wasn’t even close.

Once again, the Chevy proved to be the superior performer when it comes to acceleration testing. In every towing test we ran on I-70, the Silverado 3500 outperformed the Super Duty F-350.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The new DP has the 400HP 6.7 v. LML. The LML won everything but the DEF consumption/cost. The Chevy only came with like 2 gallons of DEF so they had to fill it. Oddly, Ford declined to support the I-70 tow test so GM bought an F-350 and gave them a 3500 to complete the test. A retired Ford T&T engineer did the driving.

The LML does use more DEF from everything I have read.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
I belive they burn more DEF during break in but once you get over 25,000 miles/ KM after that they will taper down a bit due it a new engine it will take time to break in that one reason why the DEF have to cycle it little more often than the engine is complety break in.

Merci,
Marc

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
GM didnt give them a truck directly, they actually went to a dealer lot and 'bought' it that way, they didnt get a gm test mule or anything like that

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
GM didnt give them a truck directly, they actually went to a dealer lot and 'bought' it that way, they didnt get a gm test mule or anything like that
Yeah. I didn't realize how some people might interpret the way I wrote that. We can post the entire article on here next month.

·
52 Posts
I liked the way they tried to keep everything the same. Gear ratio etc. I think it was the fairest test I`ve read so far. One thing I`d like to see is the same test except not having a drag race at the bottom of the hill. Let the trucks cross a line at the bottom going the speed limit or at least the same speed. Also I know the Dodge is 50 hp down this year, but in a test from a rolling start give it a place in the contest. Maybe Dodge will then step up.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I liked the way they tried to keep everything the same. Gear ratio etc. I think it was the fairest test I`ve read so far. One thing I`d like to see is the same test except not having a drag race at the bottom of the hill. Let the trucks cross a line at the bottom going the speed limit or at least the same speed. Also I know the Dodge is 50 hp down this year, but in a test from a rolling start give it a place in the contest. Maybe Dodge will then step up.
All the tests kind of pushed the Dodge out the door. I was really surprised the Dodge had so much less power. The low-end should have got them an edge.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the duramax and powerstroke are being tuned for low end torque now, to take that edge away from the 6-banger

·
52 Posts
The Dodge needs to be included so that Dodge, (Ram) can see that they are falling behind. One of the selling points for the Dodge used to be the better mpg. Now it`s no better than the others. I would like to see three trucks in the mix when I buy my next one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts