The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned the pump up on my DT466. Yall were right it made a nice difference in performance. I don't have a pyro or boost gauge yet so I'm taking it easy on it. Just wondering what safe boost levels are for a DT466? Mines got around 460 thousand miles so I don't want to be overly hard on it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Mine only runs 17psi. Don't know why mine's so low. most guys I read here hit the mid 20's. What's safe? I don't know. Sorry. John G. might.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Typically i get 21~23 PSIG at full load on the engine and the EGT was about 1100°F(*) i useally back off when it get that close to the limit other wise it will plug along pretty good on it.

what HP and year the engine you have ??

Merci , Marc

(*) post turbo temp

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. Mines a 90 model rated at 230 horses. I was always pleased with the way the truck runs. Now I'm down right tickled with the way it runs. The truck belongs to the company but I treat it like its my own. I'm going to try to get my gauges in it today so I'll know what its doing.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
My is oringally rated at 210 but i turn up fuel a little so i am getting about 235 or so.

But just pass the word just make sure you check the intercooler hose if you have one sometime it will crack and loose the boost pressure [ it did happend to me once.]

Merci, Marc

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
It's not an issue of boost pressure, but turbo SPEED. Unless you have the pressure map for that exact turbo, you cannot KNOW if you are working it too hard or not.

Now, OEMs typically build in some safety margin to a turbo selection, but that does vary from one application to another. It is also dependant on the RPM of the engine, and if you are turning more RPMs, then the turbo is also closer to over-speeding right off the bat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts