The Diesel Garage banner

any dirt bikers here?

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  blakerj10 
#1 ·
Ok guys, i have to sell my atv to get some stuff for my truck, still need a toy to go play in the dirt, how cheep can i get one of the new 4 stroke machines for?(yz 426,450 or honda 250-450) all it will be used for is fast trail riding and dicking around on the farm, i use to have a lot of 2 strokes and there cool but i rode a honda 450 and LOVE that power.
robert
out

#3 ·
i am thinking about going that rout, an old 500 or 480, is yours wattercooled? if not ever have any heat problems?
robert
out

#5 ·
Ive got an 03 Yamaha yz250f sweet bike and Im thinking of getting rid of it for an enduro 525 KTM that just came out this year. I bet you could get a 2003-2004 yz450f or cr450 for around $3500 those to me are the best bikes for those years. If your looking at newer I would go with the suzukis they are very fast for 05-06.

#6 ·
You can get a yzf426 for dirt cheap! My friend picked one up last year for $1800, and it was near mint. The only problem is there not all that common any more. The 450's will probably run between $3-4k depending on mods.

Those ktm 525's are scary machines. I ride a ktm 300mxc(2-smoke) and that 525 scared me half to death. I couldn't imagine the trouble that much power would get me in :evil: ...

#7 ·
hcr400ex said:
Those ktm 525's are scary machines. I ride a ktm 300mxc(2-smoke) and that 525 scared me half to death. I couldn't imagine the trouble that much power would get me in :evil: ...
LOL my budy just bought one brand new and said he wasn't even pegged in 5th gear doing 75.....It still has one more gear to go. I've only owned Yamaha bikes so this KTM is going to be all new to me. How the throttle responce on it?

#8 ·
I didn't get too much seat time on it, but it was difinitely a snappy bike. It is my friend's dad's bike, so I only took it around the block once. It was pretty cold out, and I had no gloves or goggles on so I didn't really go too fast. I did rip an unintentional wheelie shifting into third gear, and decided I better get the hell off that bike. :bow:

#14 ·
Yep. Me and my son both ride, raced MX for years. Here is an old freestyle pic.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Kawis Dad said:
Yep. Me and my son both ride, raced MX for years. Here is an old freestyle pic.

Nice ...is that you or your son?

#17 ·
It's my son, being an old guy I just jump Toyota's, lol.

#18 ·
FFpsd said:
Thats what im looking at. Did you read the project 525 on off-road.com. Its really good. Ill go look for it.

Fount it.....http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/525exc/

It is a fun bike to have. It is a big bike, but it is easy to control. It has alot of power down low( the way I like it) and it will get up over the 100 mph mark pretty easy.

If I was looking at getting another bike, I would look at the weight of the bike and the power. An overweight bike will just wear you out when riding it hard. A very powerful bike will give you all the excitement you would ever need. KTMs are big $$$ but you are getting alot of bike for the money.:HappyMugs

#19 ·
partsguy662 said:
Ah, I broomed both of those bikes bud.
The 500 was easily the biggest pain in the *** bike I've ever owned, when it ran right, it was flat out awesome...but that was a once in a blue moon occurance..
The XR600 in the sand pic was a far better bike...wish I still had it..:(
I loved my 96 cr500, It was the most comfortable bike I ever rode. And not a darn thing would touch it after milling the head and a pipe and jetting it. If I remember right it made like 80horse on the dynojet. If you didnt run race gas in it when you lugged it you could hear it detonate, Hard..

#21 ·
I just added a new bike to the collection. 2006 KLX 110 that will be turned into a pit bike. Im gonna turn the polini back to stock and sell it. I needed gears and the polini is an auto. But it was one dang fast little bike.

#22 ·
yeah go with the KTM 525, they are awesome, and they are fast but i still want the 576cc kit LOL LOL LOL

#23 ·
I am a full time racer in d-17. I would suggest a honda or yamaha 450, it has to be new. I wouldnt want one of my old race bikes. Motocross bikes get beat up quick, and ridden very hard= wide open. so I would never buy used unless from a friend. I would not get a 250f the motors blow-up too easy and very expensive to rebuild. 450's last much longer. I am racing a suzuki 450 and 250 f's, they are noware near as nice as the yamahas I raced during the 2004 season. good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.