The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil reports often fluctuate from one report to another. One is good then one is bad. Here is my latest report.

The truck runs great and doesn't have any weird noises, power loss, etc.

Any ideas???

Hunter40

Attachments

·
18 Posts
My friend was getting readings all over the place. When I happen to visit on one of his oil change / sample day, I happen to be an outsider looking in. He was catching the oil in a plastic container then filling his sample bottle. This one was a reclaimed water bottle. Even though he cut the top off and wiped the inside dry, that sample had high calcium. He told me he had used different containers, what ever was handy at the time, each oil change. So all his samples were contaminated.

Are you filling the sample container direct, or using something to catch and fill that sample container ?

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I had this same problem until I realized that you need to take the sample while the oil is being drained. I installed a Fumoto Valve and it is a snap, you can turn on/off the flow of oil.

·
18 Posts
I have the same valve and it's a great device if you don't need the clearance for off road use. But I done thing that might be considered. When I did an oil change I used a quart bottle of the same oil once and run about 6 to 10oz into it before I took the sample, then sample and through the rest back into the engine, unless it was a full oil change. This made sure the sample was from the main body of oil with less mess. On a full oil change, drain for a bit, then sample.

But I'm going for maximum duration of miles per oil change. I know many people that sample every 10k and has well over 50k per oil change without problems.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also use the fumoto valve and drain directly into the sample container. I drain four quarts, fill sample container, then drain the rest. My truck has always had unusual readings so I hve never tried to extend the drain interval.

I use oem filters and caps. Change oil every 5k with Shell T6 5/40 synthetic. Oem fuel filters every 10k. I have a dpf-r which eliminates dpf but keeps all other stock programming. Other mods (minor) are in sig.

Hunter40

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I tend to take samples just as the drain valve or plug is removed as I want to see any sludge or particulate matter that has accumulated. We sample all drains in our equipment so the baseline is established and we need to see any change from sample to sample. This includes engines, transmissions, gear reducers or anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts