The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing about it the past few weeks.

·
3,533 Posts
I had heard that myself so I looked it up and it is thinner than gasoline, and eats rubber. Sounds like it would be a bad idea, but there are people that's swear they can use, most anything as fuel from waste oil to ATF.

·
8,265 Posts
About every 3 to 4 years this rumor seems to wake up and make the rounds again. Most of the rubber used in our fuel systems won't stand up to acetone...even though it is used in very small quantities. The claims have never been substantiated except by the "butt o meter".

From everything that I have gathered the risks far outweigh the supposed rewards.

·
6 Posts
Acetone As A Mileage Aid

I Have Used It At Times And Suffered Only The Desired Effect. Better Performance, Better Mileage And Lower Emissions. At The Proper Dilution Rate Of UP To 3 Ounces To Ten Gallons Of Fuel It Cannot Harm Your Rubber Components.Alcohol That Is Added to Our Fuels Is In Fact Bad For Our Fuel Systems It Is Corrosive By Nature and Actually Decreases Mileage.I Also Have The Added Benefit Of Extending My Oil Changes Due To The Fact That Unburned Fuel Is The Reason That We Need to Change Oil Very Often That Fuel Take Carbon With It When It Passes By The Rings and Thats Why Dirty Oil Is Black. Our Old Ford 351 Has 258000 on it and Has Had at Least 1 Treatment Every Year And When Gas Prices Hit The $4.00 Mark It Gets It With Every Tankful Runs Great With No Major Repairs. Everyone Needs To Educate Themselves And Make Their Own Decision I Guess. Heres A Few Sites To Check Out ;
http://www.tellatek.com/2008/07/18/gas-saving-tip-instructables-diy-how-to-life-tech/

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been running it in my F550 for a few weeks now. It is pushing much less black smoke when I have it to the floor pulling hill in 2nd gear crawling 35 mph loaded up with hay.

It starts much better, the fuel millage is tough to tell because since I have been running acetone, I have been hauling heavier hay and putting a lot of field and idle time (run the A/C for the dog and cool the tranny)

One side effect, about 2 years ago I fixed my fuel tank with epoxy, the acetone dissolved it now my factory tank is leaking.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
That's when epoxy is still in its plastic stage.

Once it's hardened I seriously doubt it will touch the stuff.

You need to worry more, if at all, about the fuel lines.

I'll stick to biodiesel for improved fuel economy. Even at B-2 it's been proven to be better than anything else.

·
212 Posts
acetone is a strong solvent. it removes oil and grease from surfaxces so the paint will stick. with that property , i would think it wouls stop much of the lubricating the fuel does to pump and injectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts