The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is a 08 6.4 with 59,850 miles and A H&S Minn max. I was towing my Fifth wheel 16,000 pounds up a 6% grade about 3 miles long. I got a run at it and when i looked at the Minn max I was at 38 pounds of boost so i backed out of it and ran at 32 pounds of boost ( just my thing ) I dont like pushing it to hard. any way about half way up the hill the truck started to miss, and when I looked in the mirror I seen white /blue smoke behind me so I lifted more down to 24 pound of boost and babbied it to the top of the hill about 1.5 miles, Pulled over poped the hood and when I got out i seen oil puring out of the engine. so i shut it down ASAP.
I had to add 2 gal of oil. what happend was the # 4 glow plug connector popped out of the valve cover and was just pureing oil out for 1.5 miles.

I had 2 codes P0674 #4 glow plug circuit open
and P0284 Cyl #8 Injector circuit conterbution/Bal. fault

I thought that somthing caused High crank case pressure and that is why the G/P cannector popped out. Can a sudden Miss fire at 2600 RPM and 32 pounds of boost cause that?? I pulled the valve cover and checked the rocker arms on #8 they are fine I pulled the injector and it has no damange to the tip and I pulled the glow plug and it is fine also. I did a buzz test and it passes. Im going to try to get the fitting to do a compression test next. at this point I think I may have just had an injector fail and the fact that it did it with that load on the engine is why the Glow plug connecter popped.

Any way what are you thoughts???

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Broken piston

well it turned out to be a broken # 8 piston Just another 6.4 with a cracked piston. Looks like it is time for good HD pistons and some head studs.

·
1,324 Posts
Ouch!

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The block is at the machine shop now getting board out. it put a mark in the cylinder that i could not hone out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts