The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which airbag system to go with... my king pin weight on my trailer is 3,500 lbs

·
215 Posts
I'm trying to decide which airbag system to go with... my king pin weight on my trailer is 3,500 lbs
Your king pin weight is 950 lbs over your maximum allowable payload capacity of 2550 lbs.

Air-bags DO NOT increase payload capacity.

In addition if your pin weight is 3500 by most manufactures your Trailer GVW is 17500, 1700 lbs over your make towing capacity of 15800 lbs.

You need to either buy a new truck or a new trailer.

Cheers

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your king pin weight is 950 lbs over your maximum allowable payload capacity of 2550 lbs.

Air-bags DO NOT increase payload capacity.

In addition if your pin weight is 3500 by most manufactures your Trailer GVW is 17500, 1700 lbs over your make towing capacity of 15800 lbs.

You need to either buy a new truck or a new trailer.

Cheers
Pulled it on monday, may be over weight capacity but it sure didn't have a problem pulling all the hills I crested at 80 mph and the triple axle brakes plus my truck stopped it good too...

thanks for the numbers

·
215 Posts
Pulled it on monday, may be over weight capacity but it sure didn't have a problem pulling all the hills I crested at 80 mph and the triple axle brakes plus my truck stopped it good too...

thanks for the numbers
I'm not the police so I could careless what you do.

Nor do I travel in Florida or anywhere near you so you don't pose a risk to me and my travels.

However, when you have an accident and they do the investigation you'll heed my warning. Of course the same goes if your stopped for a violation and the HP checks the numbers. DOT likes to make its money on overweight tickets..just ask that guy in Ohio...

Best of luck

·
2,126 Posts
Oooh 3500 pounds, how did you ever make it safely where you were going? :p

I've always had good luck with Firestone airbags.

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm not the police so I could careless what you do.

Nor do I travel in Florida or anywhere near you so you don't pose a risk to me and my travels.

However, when you have an accident and they do the investigation you'll heed my warning. Of course the same goes if your stopped for a violation and the HP checks the numbers. DOT likes to make its money on overweight tickets..just ask that guy in Ohio...

Best of luck
I stopped at a DOT weigh station for fun to see the weight and they weighed me printed my form with weights on it and sent me on my way. DOT is concerned with GCWR which is 23,000 lbs and I was 22,400 lbs.

By the way cruised at 80 mph for 534 miles and didn't miss a beat.

This is a Super Duty, not a Toyota Tundra...

GUTTS, the trailer is lower than my Manufacturers max fifth wheel weight rating. And I said hills not mountains nor did I even use the word big and going to the pan handle from Tampa there are some pretty good size "hills." I was born and raised in Wyoming I know what mountains are. I didn't hit any of those. But we have plenty of 7-8% grades where I come from....

·
34 Posts
I too pull a pretty lofty trailer with my f-250 (39ft toy hauler). My pin weight is just over 2200 lbs and total trailer weight is 14,5XX or so when I've got the toys in it. Pulls like a dream. I run the firestone ride-rite air bags that mount inside of the frame rails. Install is pretty simple once you get the height set for the brackets. It'll take a try or two to get it right, but once you do, it goes together in a matter of an hour or so. I really wanted the compressor for it, but I haven't needed it. I would definitely buy it again, and do recommend it to others.

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/rrkit/kit.php?rri=339&rrk=2450

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too pull a pretty lofty trailer with my f-250 (39ft toy hauler). My pin weight is just over 2200 lbs and total trailer weight is 14,5XX or so when I've got the toys in it. Pulls like a dream. I run the firestone ride-rite air bags that mount inside of the frame rails. Install is pretty simple once you get the height set for the brackets. It'll take a try or two to get it right, but once you do, it goes together in a matter of an hour or so. I really wanted the compressor for it, but I haven't needed it. I would definitely buy it again, and do recommend it to others.

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/rrkit/kit.php?rri=339&rrk=2450
Can you get pics of yours? Also, does it affect your articulation much?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have Pac Brake bags, and I think they are a big jump above the firestone bags.

Check them out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts