The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hurricane delayed trip resumes next Tuesday and I'm curious if there are any major roads washed out from Dennis that were there previously? Any areas to avoid due to bad construction?

Of course you can't get a hotel room at a decent rate and my options were Ft. Walton, East Mobile or Ft Payne, AL for $130++ per night for anything of consistent Hampton Inn quality or $200 per night on the beach in Pensacola at the Hilton.

Lets see commute 1-1.5 hrs each way to save ~$50 per day or stay on the ravaged beach? I'll take the ravaged beach and Hooter's if its still there.

There's no way I'm risking a reservation at a Comfort/Quality/Sleep Inn type Arab hotel that varies widely in quality to save a few bucks. Been there, done that and I'm not sleeping in a room next to the camel stable if I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ft. Payne AL is about 30 minutes from Chattanooga.....that would be a commute....Yopu oughta call John Ponder.... he is down in Orange beach now....

OR
You could call Joe Webb at Suncoast, tell him you are a TDG member and Jeff's buddy and see if he has any suggestions for lodging....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timbeaux38 said:
Ft. Payne AL is about 30 minutes from Chattanooga.....that would be a commute....Yopu oughta call John Ponder.... he is down in Orange beach now....

OR
You could call Joe Webb at Suncoast, tell him you are a TDG member and Jeff's buddy and see if he has any suggestions for lodging....
Wasn't Ft Payne then.....was it Daphne? All this crap runs together and its sad when you have to look at you Hilton Honors statement to remember where you have been in the last month and to see where you are going the next week. LOL

·
1,006 Posts
I havent left yet, getting close. The eye wall went across a little east of pensacola so there is damage around there and east I think.

ORANGE BEACH!!!!! Tim dont cuss me like that! :poke:

Our House is in Ft. Morgan real close to the ferry across Mobile Bay. I dont think they even lost power there! I am heading out tonight or tommorrow and will stiop and unload some stuff at the beach house friday evening and then go to Jgendr on sat and then on to louisiana. I talked to Dad this morning and the house is empty and noone is on the calendar for it before me. I have it from the 8th for two weeks.Dad said he thought he may go to the beach house on Monday for a couple of days but doubts it. I'll se him on Sunday.

If he doesnt go and you dont mind pulling the ply board off the windows then it might be a possibility for you. I prob wont be there yet but we have a key hidden outside.

I was planning on leaving louisiana sometime mid wek and pulling the boards off the windows and checking it out. They say there is no damage and everything works.

I am wide open next week an just want to load up all mycylinders and gear in Louisiana and head to the house. My daughter flies into Pesacola on the 8th and my son will be driving there on the 8th.

Anyway my # is 404 531 4760

·
2,184 Posts
I think we are headed to Destin the week of the 15th how far is that from you??????? Never mind it's like 2 -2 1/2 hours..I'll give you a call that week

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John I appreciate the offer and I guess I wasn't clear earlier. I chose the Hilton on Pensacola Beach for $200 per night so I don't have to commute.

I can only imagine what the beach must look like....

·
1,006 Posts
TooMuchBoost said:
Wasn't Ft Payne then.....was it Daphne? All this crap runs together and its sad when you have to look at you Hilton Honors statement to remember where you have been in the last month and to see where you are going the next week. LOL
It was prob Ft Morgan where I am at. Dauphin Island is right across the bay.

·
1,006 Posts
wideopen said:
I think we are headed to Destin the week of the 15th how far is that from you??????? Never mind it's like 2 -2 1/2 hours..I'll give you a call that week
Yeah its not that far as the crow flies but you got to go through so many towns.

·
1,006 Posts
wideopen said:
If I get a chance I might give you a call any swing over?????
Hell ya! You got my number! Plus I got mass gear and if you want to do an easy shore dive I can rig you up. You might need to rent a reg. Last year I rigged up my cousin and brought him to Alabama point and the whiskey wreck.

Whiskey wreck is 75 yards off shore and only 15 feet deep. If you have already taken an intro class then you could do that easy, heck you could snorkel the whiskey wreck, they got some cool tropical fish on it.

My goal is simple. I want to log 40 dives in the month I am there. Maybe do 1 or 2 boat dives but mostly just shore diving. Just log some time underwater.

Hey why dont you give me a call now if you arent too busy

·
833 Posts
Checked w/ my cousin in Ft. Walton he said no real damage in the area not even major construction. The tourists were back down there on tuesday after the hurricane w/ no real problems. I haven't been back down there since I went down to board up the houses since my cousin took the boards down so I can't comment personally but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts