The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had my problem solved with the updated EGR valve, but I loaded the 275v2 today and did some high speed runs and it is puking out the degas bottle. Just wondering if anyone has found the problem?

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
i thought it was a head gasket issue also.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I dont think anyone has actually confirmed the problem!! which sucks! They ended up putting a new Degas Bottle in Forecefeds but I haven't heard if it helped yet or not.

I run mine right at the bottom of the Degas bottle and as long as I don't hold the boost over about 35 for very long I dont have to add very often..... Maybe only used a gollon in the last month?? I'm going to take mine in again in a month or so and take them for a ride while pulling a trailer and that should make it puke even being stock.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
a few have had CONFIRMED HG issues

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
You are correct there has been, also EGR coolers

But for members here who have been to Ford and had nothing fixed there are quite a few of us that haven't got a fix

There were a few sent to Elite and I was hoping once Elite tore them down they would tell us the problem

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Tadd at elite has said that they (Elite) has confirmed blown HG...Blocks must not warp though since we are still running them. Smokin Joe had the same issues as us...since he put on ARP's, he said he's been coolant loss free

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Well gents. I had the degas bottle replaced with the new OEM version. The truck ran like a champ for 600miles when I went to get the trailer. first 180miles on the return trip all was well. There are some killer hills on the way. So I set cruise and let it ride. Pulled all the hills at or better then 55mph. One of the hills is 3miles long and a minimum grade of 7%. It accually gets steeper the closer to top you get. Great way to check things over. Anyway. No coolant loss for the first 800miles. Then came the last hills. I puked about 1/2lt out. Topped it up today and went back to climb it again to see if was just a little overfilled from before. This time I puked 1/2 a gallon. The engine fan wouldnt turn off and had to reflash the truck at the dealership to get it to start after I went down there to let them know. Anyway. Tomorrow I'm going on a field trip with the head mechanic and the service manager with the fifth wheel still hooked up. I hope it melts down... Then I can get a new engine and install ARP studs just before they drop it in the frame.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
a new 6.4? are studs already out for them?

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have had a confirmed head gasket issue. The truck pushed coolant from the overflow bottle. Upon dissassembly the sealant ring on the head gasket was wiped clean on two cylinders. His puking problem was inconsistent. We resurfaced the heads and put in our headstuds. So far so good. No problems.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
My puking only comes about if the engine is under HEAVY load. WOT with a large tune or pulling something heavy up a good grade.

Tadd. Who's HG were gone. Was it Smoking Joe?

·
Flyin' Hawaiian
146 Posts
I can make mine puke loaded or unloaded. One launch from a stop light and im flowing cooland from the degaus bottle and the fitting directly on the bottom on the motor in the front....that plastic coupling. Friday i am letting my dealership have my truck for several weeks as i now have my dodge running again. He is going to start with new EGR coolers and go from there.

·
248 Posts
As Tadd said, so far so good. ZERO coolant loss since the head studs.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Thats great to hear.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
As Tadd said, so far so good. ZERO coolant loss since the head studs.

So did the studs stretch? or was it a flaw in the Head gasket??

It would be nice to know what actually cause the failure

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
So did the studs stretch? or was it a flaw in the Head gasket??

It would be nice to know what actually cause the failure
Ive read somewhere that there was a batch of bad gaskets that made it out of the factory. Here say and inuendo. But it might explain eveything too.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I put in the egr delete plates in today and it still puked. I'm ordering headstuds from elite asap. I also ordered the new degas bottle cap, but I doubt it's that, if not it has to be gaskets after doing the delete plates.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
thats great to hear. after all these mnths of speculation. finally some progress.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Well I put in the egr delete plates in today and it still puked. I'm ordering headstuds from elite asap. I also ordered the new degas bottle cap, but I doubt it's that, if not it has to be gaskets after doing the delete plates.
So how hard were they to install? We need some info here. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 82 Posts