The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got one?
Considering adding it to the dually 3500 once I get it.
Would like one that you can turn off/on from cab...Pacbrake, etc.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Im 99.9% sure on the models with VGTs you can get EFI live and use the factory turbo as an exhaust break.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
what Nick says, I have a script i can run over any of my EFI tunes to make it into an exhaust brake tune, its always on but it really only works when you turn on TOW/HAUL, or use your tapshift to select a lower gear

It works almost exactly the same as the 2011 LML, i think it works perfectly, slows you down in a hurry without using brakes :happymugs

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Check with Fleece, I think that have a controller for the VGT that will do with. But, I don't think you can go wrong at all with the Pac Brake.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
well EFI isnt "free" duke, you need to get someone to tune your ecm, and most guys dont want to do it for free :toytruck

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well EFI isnt "free" duke, you need to get someone to tune your ecm, and most guys dont want to do it for free :toytruck

What I mean is that there's a "free" exhaust brake is already in the truck via the VGT.
I realize EFI live isn't free.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Oh yea you bet! it works awesome!!!! I havn't had a chance to use it with a trailer but slowing the truck down by it's self the script works awesome, and you dont have to hack up your exhaust and try to make an exhaust brake work.... T/H and turbo brake probably works just as good as a pacbrake

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Im 99.9% sure on the models with VGTs you can get EFI live and use the factory turbo as an exhaust break.
I believe Banks has a programmer/module to do the same thing.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yea you bet! it works awesome!!!! I havn't had a chance to use it with a trailer but slowing the truck down by it's self the script works awesome, and you dont have to hack up your exhaust and try to make an exhaust brake work.... T/H and turbo brake probably works just as good as a pacbrake
So am I correct when they say it is "off" when tow/haul is "off" and "on" when tow/haul or tap downshift is "on"?

I would like some way of turning it off for non-towing driving.
Any drawbacks or annoying things about it? Even the smallest annoyance? (Weird noise, etc.)

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I am going to eventually get a Pac Brake. I should have bought it by now.
What are you waiting for?

I believe Banks has a programmer/module to do the same thing.
You are correct sir, its called the speed brake.

So am I correct when they say it is "off" when tow/haul is "off" and "on" when tow/haul or tap downshift is "on"?

If its a script you run over a turn it will always be on, however with out the truck in tow/haul mode it if like just slow you down a little bit. When your truck is in tow/haul mode it will be WAY more aggressive and really do its job. ( my 6.7L is the same way, it is noticeably more aggressive in tow/haul than w/o TH.)

I would like some way of turning it off for non-towing driving.
Any drawbacks or annoying things about it? Even the smallest annoyance? (Weird noise, etc.)
You will think its a jet aircraft when you hear it kick in at idle the first time, not sure its an annoyance but I get funny looks at times when its cold out and it kicks in a idle.

Reactions: merlin5577

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked out the banks brake. That thing is really cool. Total plug & play and adjustable, too. Claims a lot more brake power than pacbrake.....

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Just checked out the banks brake. That thing is really cool. Total plug & play and adjustable, too. Claims a lot more brake power than pacbrake.....
Diesel Power Mag did a review of it on a LMM truck and it apparently works awesome.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I may explore this. Pretty neat how you can set it to "off", "low", "med", "high", or "foot brake" settings to control the braking power. Banks says completely undetectable by dealer if you remove. No codes, but kinda hard to believe. If the thing sets something out of range, wouldn't that leave a code?
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/370/2

$599

The more high tech version is too much for me.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I think I may explore this. Pretty neat how you can set it to "off", "low", "med", "high", or "foot brake" settings to control the braking power. Banks says completely undetectable by dealer if you remove. No codes, but kinda hard to believe. If the thing sets something out of range, wouldn't that leave a code?
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/370/2

$599

The more high tech version is too much for me.
I have to think that pretty much anything we do to these trucks is traceable, that being said (if they look hard enough), I would think that itwould have to change parameters at some point. If it puts anything out of a "normal value" that would be cause for a code. I guess it works like an inline tuner such as edge since it is not retuning the ECM it doesnt leave any sort of footprint in the ECM and once it is unhooked there is no trace.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i guess if you never plan on tuning for more power Duke than the banks might be more up your Ally so to speak, its half the cost of EFI, and will do what you want it to :happymugs

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. That's where I'm at. No need for more than 360Hp diesel out of a pickup for me. :peelout
I only want the ex brake to make my brakes last longer and to insure shorter stopping distances.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
you will barely need the brakes Brother, the turbo brake works that well with T/H mode :happymugs

Reactions: Duke
1 - 20 of 22 Posts