The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We pulled a neighbor's B model engine apart today for a head gasket issue, anyway got it apart and found it had aftermarket IPD cylinder kits in it. Was surprised that you could still see some cross hatch in the liners. Asked the owner how long ago it was inframed and he pulled spiral note book out of the jockey box with all the maintance records for the truck since it was new. Said it had been 516k since the inframe. Also had found a aftermarket headgasket that we believe to be the culprit. Anyway checked the liner protrusion and all is good so we got a steel spacer plate ordered and a OEM head kit to put it all back together with. Well just wanting to hear if anybody's had any other experience with IPD good or bad.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
We pulled a neighbor's B model engine apart today for a head gasket issue, anyway got it apart and found it had aftermarket IPD cylinder kits in it. Was surprised that you could still see some cross hatch in the liners. Asked the owner how long ago it was inframed and he pulled spiral note book out of the jockey box with all the maintance records for the truck since it was new. Said it had been 516k since the inframe. Also had found a aftermarket headgasket that we believe to be the culprit. Anyway checked the liner protrusion and all is good so we got a steel spacer plate ordered and a OEM head kit to put it all back together with. Well just wanting to hear if anybody's had any other experience with IPD good or bad.
Same as FD and the rest. Lucky it made it this long, and quite sure it's not cranked and timing is close to perfect. Better leave it that way if your running IPD's. Look real close at liner flanges also ;)

·
Fleet Owner
191 Posts
Have used quite a few IPD kits, and no problems so far, just put one into an 8TC last week too.

Guess ive been lucky then.

:)

·
Registered
489 Posts
:popcorn cat ,cummins and detroit they are engines designers and assemblers, who order all the parts come from different countries and houses. in these days we dont know what is or isnt an aftermarket.:mad: they can give you a kitty for a rabbit:nunu:. but theres no parts made in the USA. if you see made in USA its a lie.:wtf

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
:popcorn cat ,cummins and detroit they are engines designers and assemblers, who order all the parts come from different countries and houses. in these days we dont know what is or isnt an aftermarket.:mad: they can give you a kitty for a rabbit:nunu:. but theres no parts made in the USA. if you see made in USA its a lie.:wtf

So true boss!!!

·
53 Posts
IPD

I have used ipd parts for years have not had any problems. Like there one piece gaskets, no jg saw puzzles to glue . I do know they had some mfg problems here and there but so has oems .If custermer wants save a few dollars for something that does not get used very much ipd has been my first aftermarket choice for cat. I use oem if my choice and when i have to back it parts and laber . But reman products from cat i think have going down hill fast .

·
273 Posts
i've never bought ipd cylinder kits, but how does the rod exchage deal work with them, or do they even want a connecting rod. you know how cat wants there rod back for a core when ya buy a reman cylinder kit, well i guess what i am asking is, does ipd sell the whole kit ready to drop in like cat or is it just a piston, rings, liner and o-ring all shipped seperate. just something i always wonderd.....:read

·
7 Posts
From what remember Snowman, you need to keep your rod, it used to come with liner an o/rings and piston an rings you put on your self, also came with new wrist pin clips. But remember there head gaskets not being the greatest, usually torqued the head to 375ft/lbs

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
All the aftermarket kits come in pieces. Must assemble all your own kits, and re-bush and re-use your own rods. They don't even offer to sell them anymore.

And parts being made all over doesn't have a lot of bearing on the strict criteria of each manufacturer. Cat made anywhere uses more nickel and chromium than any other, and hi test aircraft aluminum in Asco parts, but still by Cat standards. Same with Cummins and Detroit with Dear parts. Tho Clevite makes a ton of OEM's bearings, they are by OEM specs, or refused. Same with pistons, castings, gaskets, filters........... If I am forced to use them, it's 10% more for doing it, and tail light warranty. All others (OEM's) are nationwide unlimited.

·
990 Posts
Here is a question that is specifically not for Tony who has not had to look at a set of instructions since he was in junior high school. Are there instruction books that come with the unassembled aftermarket parts kits or OEM parts? If so are they any good?

With the total, out of frame rebuild of a 3406c mech, that had 800,000 when it was put on the stand, how many more miles should it be good for if rebuilt to spec and maintained. With after marker parts? With genuine Cat parts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the aftermarket kits come in pieces. Must assemble all your own kits, and re-bush and re-use your own rods. They don't even offer to sell them anymore.

And parts being made all over doesn't have a lot of bearing on the strict criteria of each manufacturer. Cat made anywhere uses more nickel and chromium than any other, and hi test aircraft aluminum in Asco parts, but still by Cat standards. Same with Cummins and Detroit with Dear parts. Tho Clevite makes a ton of OEM's bearings, they are by OEM specs, or refused. Same with pistons, castings, gaskets, filters........... If I am forced to use them, it's 10% more for doing it, and tail light warranty. All others (OEM's) are nationwide unlimited.
Sounds like a cat employee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts