The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 08 on tuesday, and I only have 200 miles on it. On Saturday I was parked in my driveway and the truck started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours. Once I put the truck in drive it started to blow blue and white smoke out the exhaust. It smelled like burning diesel fuel. I contacted the dealership and they have no clue what the problem is. They said there is a recall on all 08's 6.4 engines but didn't have the computer disk to fix the recall. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
ROCCO said:
I just picked up my new 08 on tuesday, and I only have 200 miles on it. On Saturday I was parked in my driveway and the truck started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours. Once I put the truck in drive it started to blow blue and white smoke out the exhaust. It smelled like burning diesel fuel. I contacted the dealership and they have no clue what the problem is. They said there is a recall on all 08's 6.4 engines but didn't have the computer disk to fix the recall. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Sounds like it went into regen mode.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Shouldn't be blowing smoke during regen. Purpose of DPF is to clean the exhaust. I think Ford has seriously misprogrammed something in their regen mode, causing excessive heat, smoke, fire.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the after treatment system, Ford or IH? Duke, might be a good thread.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
I would agree with Duke, but you may be one of the few that are due for that recall on the flame issue. I would assume that Ford would be the resposible party on the DPF system. Ford would have to be the one to design it to meet thier truck configurations.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There should not be excessive smoke on a Regen. Some white smoke but not much. I have only seen one go into Regen but it was not like what you described. Take the truck in tomorrow to the dealer is my advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If you let it idle for 4-5 hours
"started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours."
, ANYTHING is possible.

One of the things the consumers WILL learn about the 2007 up emissions diesels, is that if you don't NEED a diesel (for work), you should not get one.

These engines (CAT, Cummins, International, Isuzu (GM)) are NOT intended to idle, AT ALL.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
sacgmc said:
Shouldn't be blowing smoke during regen. Purpose of DPF is to clean the exhaust. I think Ford has seriously misprogrammed something in their regen mode, causing excessive heat, smoke, fire.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the after treatment system, Ford or IH? Duke, might be a good thread.
We posted a picture here a few months back of an IH regen system on an IH truck. It was made bu FUJI Heavy Industries.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if that's who Ford uses. Maybe one of our new 6.4L owners can do us a solid and see if there's a manufacturer name on the regen system.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I know that Ford is responsible to the after-treatment system, and International is not.

That is not to say they do not use some of the same or similar components, even some from the same vendor.

As far as Ambulances, you cannot get the 6.4L PSD in a Van/commercial cut-away with Ambulance prep, so there is no problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry I guess if it is cold it is not uncommon to see white smoke...

TSB
07-4-11 6.4L DIESEL - REGENERATION FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS

Publication Date: February 20, 2007

FORD: 2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
2008 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.

ACTION:
Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.
The following is also normal and may be observed by a technician using a diagnostic tool. It is not likely that a customer would be aware of these:

The throttle body is only active during the regeneration process and during shutdown.
EGR is not operating during regeneration.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

·
227 Posts
Throttle body? Their putting throttles on these now? What junk. Im worried about what these trucks are going to be like in 10 years. If theyre falling apart already and their brand new whats gonna happen when they get some miles and time on them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
come on criss88, they are not "falling apart allready" yes they will take more matience(like on the TB) and its a inconvience to have to go through regeneration, its just like antthing else, you just have to take care of it and do the matience.

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
I wonder how long till someone figures out a way to deactivate the regen process and removes the DPF?

wftree

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Chris88 said:
Throttle body? Their putting throttles on these now? What junk. Im worried about what these trucks are going to be like in 10 years. If theyre falling apart already and their brand new whats gonna happen when they get some miles and time on them.

Its just the way these new diesels are today... :shrug: Thank the EPA. :damnit And no there not falling apart already geez.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does it happen all the time? My truck did that on its first or second regen I noticed. I think brand new motors might put out a little smoke on thier first couple of regens.

·
227 Posts
Give me a 12 v cummins or an 7.3 IDI anyday of the week over any of this new electronic stuff. I dont trust it, not just the fords, Cats cummins macks, all of them are getting too complicated. I wanna cry every time i open the hood on the new westernstar at work and see those big ole twin turbos on it. Theyre just making it much more complicated then it has to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts