The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about adjusting apps voltage? I heard you take the voltage from a orange wire at ecm and adjust the voltage to match by moving apps foward or back:poke

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
How do you go about adjusting apps voltage? I heard you take the voltage from a orange wire at ecm and adjust the voltage to match by moving apps foward or back:poke
Becareful there JL...

This adjustment does have a few flaws to it that people are over looking...

Now most are saying that adjust to the voltage on the label but forget to tell you to CHECK the state of the 2 idle validation switches. These two switches have a lot to do with other systems in the truck...

I normally suggest against it because once the adjustment is made you find that the voltage will wonder on you. Check the voltage again a few day later and find its different. This points to the APPS being wore out.

So that leave you looking towards a replacement...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps-replacement.htm

Reactions: Nitelord

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
what does this do? Just curios here..:wiggle

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok: that sounds over my head. I was thinking (oh no here he gose thinking again) my truck has 230k on it, you think its about time for new apps? I see you have found new suplier thats not to high on price.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Ok: that sounds over my head. I was thinking (oh no here he gose thinking again) my truck has 230k on it, you think its about time for new apps? I see you have found new suplier thats not to high on price.
JL... :haha

Dude... You need to break out the volt meter and see if the APPS is close to its mark. Then check and see if the voltage rises smoothy with the throttle if the voltage jumps up or down suddenly then the APPS is shot...

Simple way to test...

If you had a ScanGauge II you could do the same then from the cab...

But you know I'm here to keep ya runnin' but I would check it out first before tossin' money on parts...

Reactions: JLWelding

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep ScanGauge is next on the list. That thing is really handy.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
how do u test them and also what should the voltage b thanks
Test #1
Testing... Start the truck and drive... If the throttle works fine and no error codes are given then it OK.

Test #2
If you got a ScanGauge II hook it up select TPS gauge and watch the throttle movement as you drive if the number jump or changes rapidily (up or down) without changes from you then the APPS is wearing out... You show be able to go from idle to WOT slowly and see a nice smooth rise in number 0-99%

Test #3
If you got a DVM you could hook up to the APPS sensor and read the Ohm valve and go from idle to WOT with a smooth change in Ohms... If a sudden change or (Infinite) or 0 Ohm occur when it not suppose to then the APPS is wore out...

If you getting a P0121, P0122, or P0123 and "dead pedal" is occurring then the APPS is wore out and should be replaced...

As for voltage adjustment a lot of people try this and get a temporary fix that is short lived. The other problem is that they don't test for idle validation switches and what state there in during the adjustment... This will have effect on other things like exhaust brakes and such... I DON'T recommend you even mess with adjusting the voltage...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts