The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 400 with no problem's what so ever.. First brand I ever rode and liked the clearance you could get at the time on that size vs having to go big with other brands to get that clearance.. So when it came time to get the boy one , I went with an Arctic Cat 90 for xmas two years ago. Got it 4 days before xmas, had it stashed until the big day .. Went out to fire it and took 1/2 an hour to get it to fire up, didn't think much of it.. he rode it for a few mind you it was cold .. went to fire it back up sometime after that x amount of days and couldn't get it to work.. caklled dealer I bought if from and he said oh use starting fluid, did that ( which found out not goood later) . told him that wasn't right and took it back to fix, he said oh maybe new injectors or something do to altitude he thought.. Said he would order them .. A month later nothing kept giving me run around , so I called corporate. They said nothing was ordered from him and I told them what he told me and they called him back and reemed him.. He wasn't happy about that( i made him look bad.. Right..lol) and told me to bring the p.o.s back for him to fix, told him no I wouldn't that I would take it else where. Will never do buisness there again he should know better not to use fluid and use non oem parts and know the recalls etc.He said that the injectors he orderd where from else where ..Took to next town they messed with and nothing fixed again .. took back a third time and they tried drilling the choke hole bigger , said problem fixed.. You think it was ? Hell no.. corp told me to pick bike up drop in , power choke it all this other crap, told them done that and that I shouldn't have to do that crap to make the quad run.. None of the other brands need that to start,.. So went to fire it up last week and what happend again nothing , getting no fuel at all.. Called corp again and said I don't care if warranty has been up for over a year I want this P.O.S fixed cause I didnt pay that much to have junk and well its at shop again for 4th time.. So I don't recommend buying any 90 cc from them and possibly any quad at all. Had to vent a bit..

·
1,705 Posts
I too have had issues with Arctic Cat :nunu: . I like my machine when it is working right but when it needs something I just face the fact it'll be a month before I get it back :nunu: .

·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is good besides being under powered in my opinion for its size..:sly: Went riding today with buddy that just got his 350 wolverine back and he had no problem going up a hill that took me 3 trys.:damnit

·
1,705 Posts
Mine is for sale BTW if anyone wants a 07 650. Should be good to go now that warranty has fixed everything.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Friends don't let friends ride Arctic Cat. Honda for utilities and Yamaha for sports...nothing can compare.

·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friends got me to get mine..:damnit .. Jp.. Honda's don't have as good of clearance, or atleast at the time of purchase didn't. I would like to get a Bomb CanAM 400-800 ..:woot:

·
1,705 Posts
Thing is Hondas last. We have 1 with 19,500mi and 1 with 25,000mi+ and are still going strong.

·
formally dodge97ctd-sc member #12
2,001 Posts
i want your artic cat kyle

·
1,705 Posts
PM me and I'll sell it to ya :Thumbup: .

ford99psd said:
i want your artic cat kyle

·
formally dodge97ctd-sc member #12
2,001 Posts
im broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea i dont like articats to much now i mean i used to think they were pretty good looking but one almost got my grandad killed when the spindle in the wheel broke and he alomost went over the side of the mountain so i would go with a yamaha or a honda

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had alot of the same problems you described with a little Polaris 90 we had for the kids. It would run like a champ for about a week coming out of the shop then it would just get worse from there. Finally just dumped it off because I got tired of dealing with it. I couldn't sell it in good conscious though for what I paid and ended up taking a big bite in the shorts once I disclosed it had some serious issues. So I feel your pain, but it sounds like you might have just got a lemon.

P.

·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOTPIT said:
I had alot of the same problems you described with a little Polaris 90 we had for the kids. It would run like a champ for about a week coming out of the shop then it would just get worse from there. Finally just dumped it off because I got tired of dealing with it. I couldn't sell it in good conscious though for what I paid and ended up taking a big bite in the shorts once I disclosed it had some serious issues. So I feel your pain, but it sounds like you might have just got a lemon.

P.
:damnit
Arctic Cat guy said all 90's had that issue, cause motors all the saem , but the little 50 cc has no issues.. I may have got a lemon ..:nunu:

·
1,705 Posts
Mine just went in again. Appears the trans took a dump. They offered to trade me into another one but I'm not sure I want another Arctic Cat. Our Hondas have been great.

·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wont own another one again..

·
608 Posts
Team honda... :) I beat the ever livin snot out of mine. It still trucks along just fine...

·
2,035 Posts
Honda? Ha! Honda has the least amount of option at the highest price tag. Also, cc for cc they are the weakest quads on the market. That's a non-arguable fact. Put some 28" or bigger tires on ANY Honda...the motor is going to take a dump.

I still remember my buddy went out and bought a Honda 400AT while I bought a 660 Grizzly and all my other buddies bought 700 Polaris'. Which one went down first? Honda. Tranny took a dump trying to turn 28's, while the rest of us were turning 28's or bigger easily. Who went down second? The Honda again...blew up the tranny a second time. Who went down third? Honda. That's when Honda bought the bike back from him.

Fact of the matter is that no brand these days is all that more reliable than the other. Sometimes you get a bad bike and sometimes you get a good one...just how it goes. Honda is not more reliable...they may seem more reliable because of the obvious lack of options like fully lock 4wd and power most mudders won't buy them...

·
1,705 Posts
The 400 AT's are likes Hondas econemy atv. I had a 350 which is what the 400 AT was and it had lots of little issues but the motor and trans were indestructable. As soon as I get my Cat back it's getting traded for another Honda :Thumbup: . It'll get 30,000mi on it just like this current 450.

There are Hondas out there with 40,000mi. Find another brand that has
40K and I may re-consider. Mine has almost 30,000mi my dads has
20,000mi.
I smoked this Arctic Cat tranny with stock tires and you're saying another auto will hake the abuse of 28"s :popcorn: :hehe .

HD_F250 said:
Honda? Ha! Honda has the least amount of option at the highest price tag. Also, cc for cc they are the weakest quads on the market. That's a non-arguable fact. Put some 28" or bigger tires on ANY Honda...the motor is going to take a dump.

I still remember my buddy went out and bought a Honda 400AT while I bought a 660 Grizzly and all my other buddies bought 700 Polaris'. Which one went down first? Honda. Tranny took a dump trying to turn 28's, while the rest of us were turning 28's or bigger easily. Who went down second? The Honda again...blew up the tranny a second time. Who went down third? Honda. That's when Honda bought the bike back from him.

Fact of the matter is that no brand these days is all that more reliable than the other. Sometimes you get a bad bike and sometimes you get a good one...just how it goes. Honda is not more reliable...they may seem more reliable because of the obvious lack of options like fully lock 4wd and power most mudders won't buy them...

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
Honda's are ultimately the way to go with Yamaha in a close 2nd. I haven't had a single problem with my 450R yet. I have just changed the oil and did basic maintenance on it. I guess it's a personal preference, but I have seen from personal experience on which brand last's longer and it's Honda by far.

·
2,035 Posts
01duramax6spd said:
The 400 AT's are likes Hondas econemy atv. I had a 350 which is what the 400 AT was and it had lots of little issues but the motor and trans were indestructable. As soon as I get my Cat back it's getting traded for another Honda :Thumbup: . It'll get 30,000mi on it just like this current 450.

There are Hondas out there with 40,000mi. Find another brand that has
40K and I may re-consider. Mine has almost 30,000mi my dads has
20,000mi.
I smoked this Arctic Cat tranny with stock tires and you're saying another auto will hake the abuse of 28"s :popcorn: :hehe .
I'll tell you this much...for a mud bike Honda sucks. They don't have the power to turn big tires and big tires just tear them apart easier than any other brand.

My bike is an '04 and the first day it was bought I slapped 28" Outlaws on it. I now run 29.5" Outlaws with 25" of ground clearance and still have the original belt in the dern thing. I promise you it's seen 10x's the abuse 99% of the guys on this forum would dream about putting their bikes through.

I also have a buddy on here that has a 300, 400, 650, and a Thundercat. Sure he breaks stuff because he's a mudder, but he doesn't break any more stuff than any other brand. Not to mention he can actually turn 28" or bigger tires in the sticky stuff. :poke: Try to do that with a 700 Rincon...:hehe LOL :hehe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts