The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be picking up a 6.0 truck, it will not be used for towing but a dd, id like it to be my project truck, do u guys think its worth doing studs, gaskets, egr delete, intake, exhaust, tuner, pillar with gauges, shift kit and valve body???

·
3,051 Posts
I would say yes as long as the motor and transm are in decent shape, truck seems to run good without any funny noises and the high pressure oil system and injectors are in decent working condition. Valve body is electronic, a sct tuner with custom tuning will adjust the shifting along with the engine power. Good idea to replace the engine oil cooler if your doing studs and egr delete. Make sure to have the heads checked/pressure tested when they are off.

Harry

·
721 Posts
Every engine is different. It depends if it has had a decent life. Do not be afraid of odometer readings only. But at any mileage I say "COOLANT FILTER" .

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys, and all that will be checked, i asked for an oasis and if it comes back good then ill be picking it up, i plan to do a shorty build.

·
525 Posts
Modding an older truck like that... IMHO:

You might as well pull the engine and do a rebuild with the cab off.

Reason: only after you pull it can you really inspect it, and do things like look for hairline cracks, etc.

You can also use diagnostics like magnaflux and if needs be, x rays to really get a peak at the innards.

Likewise, even if it isn't quite broke, if the wear (which needs to be measured with the motor apart) justifies it, I would do a complete rebuild.

Problem is... without it apart and measuring and inspecting, often you can't tell how critical parts have worn.

Having said this, if you got it cheap enough, it may be just worth the money to buy a used low mileage engine and keep the older one around as a rebuild project.

Oh... mine is 275,000 miles and going strong.

So I am biased....

If it is working fine, why touch it.

·