The Diesel Garage banner

Are there any significant differences between a 95 and 97 7.3?

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Lonesome7.3 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1997 F350 donor truck I bought for the front end swap on my 95 F350. The 7.3 that is in it is complete. I want to pull that engine and get in on an engine stand and build it over time. When it is done I would like to perform a direct swap into my 95. Are there any changes I should be aware of that may prevent this swap? Will the wiring harness in my 95 plug right in and work like it is supposed to? When I go to buy parts later, can I simply buy parts for a 95 Ford? (You know how stupid some of the counter people are at parts stores.) Well, let me know if this is an easy task or if I should simply shut my truck down and use the engine that is in it.

#2 ·
I believe everything is the same :rock

#4 ·
Right on...That's gonna be nice.. The only thing that comes to mind is 96 and up are OBD II compliant, I beleive you can just swap the ECM from a 96-97 into the older trucks since all the sensors are there along with the Diag. port under the glove box.
Keep us updated ...Let us know how it's going..:happymugs

#6 ·
They all have OBD2 ports, but some functions do not work.

The only differance could be if the 97 is a cali truck with the AB injectors... Hard to tell without pulling the valve covers.

#8 ·
I think I had a problem geting my OBDII pulg to work, so I think you are correct.

I am glad to hear that. I might send mine back to you to go through before it goes on the new engine though. Just to be safe.

Mods, well that will take some time. I am open to suggestions. I already have a growing list but I could use soem giudance here and there.

#9 ·
the newer 7.3's had 10 more HP too :) my 95 has 215, and a guys 97 had 225. (printed on valve cover, pass side)

#15 ·
it depends on when in '95 the truck was produced.

The early '95 trucks ran a different waterpump & thermostat than the '95 - Superduty engines. When this is the case the radiator actually had a cap on the top tank not on a degas bottle. Early '95 trucks came from the factory with a 203° t-stat that is not compatible with the later model water pump (it'll fit but will not function properly)

I have noticed a variation in the length of the arm for the tensioner pulley but both interchange without any problems.

The front cover for the 97 is compatible with the superduty HPOP upgrades due to the location of the anti drainback for the HPOP reservior. Either front cover will bolt on but the later model HPOP on the '95 cover will have reservoir drain down issues. If you use the later model cover you need to order HPOP reservoir gaskets for the later model.

The stock programming for the '95 does not include OBDII diagnostics but that won't be applicable with programming.

#17 ·
the early 95s have driffrent water pump, thurmostat, and front cover then the later 95-03 powerstrokes

#18 ·
You'll be fine. When you build your 97, just make sure you buy all the replacemnt parts(water pump, T stat, etc..) for a 97 and up.

If your serious about twin turbo's, make sure you include a Wide Open Performance fire ring kit in your engine build. With the boost levels you'll be making, you will need the extra sealing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.