The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing studs into your engines?

I used the 271 for my small block build up days.
I never hear of anyone using it now...:shrug:

Torque them to ????? 250LBS??? In 3 stages???

·
Sumo Blue
527 Posts
No Loctite, and these are the directions I followed.

1. Make sure all holes are clean of oil and debris
2. Screw stud into the block – SNUG, not tight
3. Install head gaskets
4. Install heads
5. Lube threads of bolts and nuts AND the washers with supplied ARP lube. Ensure surface where washer touches the head and where washer touches the nut are lubed well. Very important step to ensure torque readings are accurate.
6. Tighten nuts as you would for factory bolts – same sequence. Torque to 135 ft lbs (I think that’s the factory spec)
7. Following the factory sequence, re-torque nuts to 180 ft lbs
8. Following the factory sequence, re-torque nuts to 200 ft lbs
9. Following the factory sequence, re-torque nuts to 220 ft lbs
10. Following the factory sequence, re-torque nuts to 230 ft lbs
11. Following the factory sequence, re-torque nuts to 245 ft lbs

--Snake

·
3,306 Posts
No not use loc tite on the studs. They come with lube for the top of the threads. I used the factory torquing sequence, but torqued the heads in four steps.
1. 80ft lbs.
2. 150ft lbs
3. 200ft lbs
4. 245ft lbs
I contacted tadd at elite before i did mine to see how many steps they did theirs at and at what ft lbs. I followed his method.

·
3,051 Posts
Extended Power said:
when installing studs into your engines?

I used the 271 for my small block build up days.
I never hear of anyone using it now...:shrug:

Torque them to ????? 250LBS??? In 3 stages???
Funny you should mention this, because all of the serious drag racers I know are using loctite on there ARP studds in the engine block side. These are seasoned NHRA pro drag racers. One of the reasons is because they are constantly pulling the heads on/off on the motors, but I wonder if it would benefit the clamping ability on our 6.0's? Dosen't seem to hurt their motors.

·
645 Posts
you put lock tite on if you want them to stay in the block permanantley. it wouldnt hurt to do it since you would probly pull the motor or lift the cab to take the heads off anyway, but say you had a car or somthing where you would pull the studs out before the heads come off then no you wouldnt want to use it. i dont think its goning to make anything seal any better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts