The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Just gettin started
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the truck I'm looking at is a 2002 Ram 3500 4x4 w/ 55k on it. I'm making a list of goodies and was wondering if it would be worth putting one of these on? I'm starting with a 5" turbo back exhaust, BHAF, and a programmer (not sure which brand yet, still reading all the posts in here), and some gauges. The old man that owned this truck already installed a boost and fuel pressure gauges, but I think they are as old as he was. I want to upgrade to some nice Autometer ones. I eventually want to upgrade the intercooler as well. The truck is going to be a daily driver and I don't tow anything (yet). I have gotten hooked reading all the posts and watching the vids. I love the sound of a Cummins w/ big exhaust. I can't believe how much power these things can make. OH, one more question, since the truck only has 55k on it, how long till I need to change out the weak vp44 and lift pump? I like how helpful everyone on this board is and hope you guys can give me some good sound advise. I'm subscribing to this thread. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
the vp44 can be built to be alot stronger and i would get a fass or air dog system programer if u want max power and it comes with a monitor the quadzilla adreline 180hp and 420ftlbs of torque gain

·
1,189 Posts
as long as the fuel pressure is still good the vp44 should be fine. but I myself don't trust the lift pumps as 3 went through my truck in 6 months. They would just work now and then. A friend of mine is on #3 as his 2nd only lasted 9 months.(I have a fuel pressure guage for him now. one vp44 and 2 lift pumps chaged) I have a holley blue but I hear airtex makes a good pump and you wont need to regulate it. I would still say get a bigline kit and get the pump off the motor. What tranny do you have? I have heard the air intakes don't really add anything. The one I heard the guy tested was a banks.

·
1,189 Posts
and as moparman would say add some 2stroke oil to keep the vp44 alive

·
Just gettin started
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks, how bout the intake manifold?

·
1,189 Posts
from what I have heard the intakes just look good and don't add any hp. some say they dynoed it at a loss. have heard it will cool down the egts some too... but I don't know. what trans you runnin? auto needs some mods to handle power, stick needs a good clutch

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
i have heard from local shops that the intake manifolds are more for looks than anything else as well

·
Just gettin started
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look like they would flow better than the square boxy stock one, but you guys would know better then me. I guess I will put my money towards something else.

·
1,189 Posts
yeah I thought the same thing too. I guess the ones that need the air intake are the 3rd gen's from what I have read. You can always add one later after you get everything else going

·
Registered
432 Posts
i agree with 01quadcab on everything he has said i had a buddy that had an 01 with vp44 and a fass system he upgraded the clutch 200hp inecotrs a few boxes stacked and i dont know whatelse he had done but was hittin 1200ftlbs at the rear wheals and 500hp or more he had he dyno to prove it

·
Just gettin started
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
01quadcab said:
as long as the fuel pressure is still good the vp44 should be fine. but I myself don't trust the lift pumps as 3 went through my truck in 6 months. They would just work now and then. A friend of mine is on #3 as his 2nd only lasted 9 months.(I have a fuel pressure guage for him now. one vp44 and 2 lift pumps chaged) I have a holley blue but I hear airtex makes a good pump and you wont need to regulate it. I would still say get a bigline kit and get the pump off the motor. What tranny do you have? I have heard the air intakes don't really add anything. The one I heard the guy tested was a banks.
01quadcab, The truck is an auto. What kind of fuel pressure should I be seeing? The truck has a 30# boost gauge and a cheezy fuel pressure gauge. I did notice that it will bury the boost guage. I don't remember what kind of fuel pressure the truck has. I'm going to be getting some type of guage pod to mount my new Autometers in a tasteful way.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
SS1156 said:
01quadcab, The truck is an auto. What kind of fuel pressure should I be seeing? The truck has a 30# boost gauge and a cheezy fuel pressure gauge. I did notice that it will bury the boost guage. I don't remember what kind of fuel pressure the truck has. I'm going to be getting some type of guage pod to mount my new Autometers in a tasteful way.
Well, since its an auto, you're looking at about $4000 into a transmission before you start modding your truck for big power. It'll give you better ecomony due to less tc and clutch slippage and it can handle the power that you want to throw at it. Some good transmissions to look into are goerend bros., hts, ats, suncoast, etc.
As for your fuel pressure, you should be seeing about 10psi at wot and 12-15 or so at idle. Once that needle goes lower than 10 at wot, you are going to need to invest in a fass, airdog lift pump before it damages your vp44 ip.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i agree with cursedtofirst45 u get low u pressure and that will kill ur vp44 quick and the tranny is a major thing stock trannys dont like alot more power than stock build the tanny fully first then build the motor that way u dont have to worry about hurting ur tanny

·
1,189 Posts
yeah what they said. Did you get electric fuel pressure guage from autometer? if so did you get the pressure fitting to save the sender from over pressure they say causes damage to them on start up according to autometer. You could add an edge ez to your now and gain some power etc. Your tranny should be able to hold that for quite a while, just keep it serviced and add a deep pan to it the more fluid the better... did you get and tranny guage too? I like my auto but I really want a 5 or 6 spd for towing. Horse hauling up and down the hills around here is hard on mine and I want a exhaust brake..

·
Registered
432 Posts
i agree with 01quadcab anything kinda power gain as long as under 90 or 100hp u should be fine plus if u get the deep pan now and put it on that is one less thing u have to get done the road when u build the tranny i cant blame u 01quad cab for wanting a manual and exhaust brake when u are driving in the hills hard on auto and brakes

·
Just gettin started
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't bought any gauges yet, I like the Autometers and will buy them when the time comes. I planned on the deep tranny pan. As far as the fuel pumps. What pumps or lift pumps should I be looking at. I don't to kill the vp44 prematurely. I have read that they aren't the best pump in the world. I'm not looking at setting the world on fire with my new truck. just want to add some power to the stock truck. I pull a racecar every once in a while, but the stock power isn't going to cut it.

I really appreciate all your advise. This site is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
01quadcab is got a holley blue and usin a lil 2stroke to keep his alive a fass or air dog system would work to i would get a big fuel line kit too to make sure it is getttin its fuel then go with the edge ez and get a deep tranny pan like we said u will notice a difference from just that

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fuel Pump: FASS or Airdog
Transmission: Suncoast

If you like Digital Gauges get the new Quadzilla Adrenaline.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i agree about the fass or airdog tranny i would go with ats and the adreline will be a good thing once he gets his tanny built til the power needs to stay lower and he is gettin autometer gauages

1 - 20 of 54 Posts