The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen a turbo kit like this before?

Attachments

·
1,700 Posts
Im not sure of all the offerings from ATS but I do believe thats the ATS 088 kit. It is a non wastegate turbo kit.

ATS actually built the factory turbo system for the 7.3L IDI turbo. This was not the kit the factory used though, they used a wastegate turbo setup. Both ATS kits were available through them and one way to tell if the kit was factory or ATS was the name on the air filter box. Factory had the Ford name, aftermarket had ATS

·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they any good?

·
1,700 Posts
Nothing wrong with the kit other than maybe the age and condition of parts. I think ATS discontinued them many years ago ( I think )

·
49 Posts
So this ATS turbo is the same as Ford's other then the waste gate.

·
1,700 Posts
So this ATS turbo is the same as Ford's other then the waste gate.

Nice fab work, does it work good? It looks like that turbo has a waste gate on it, you might make sure its either stuck shut or you need to wire it shut. That turbo is either the later ATS kit or off a factory IDI turbo.

I guess to clear it up the ATS 088 kit was in the pic on the first post, it is a non wastegated turbo setup, they were good kits but I think they took a little longer to spool up.

ATS came out with another kit a couple years later which had a wastegated turbo and spooled quicker. This kit was available through ATS, or Ford. The turbo IDI Fords used this kit from the factory and the only difference was the air filter housing had either "ATS" or the oval "FORD" embossed on it.

Also the Ford factory turbo IDI engines were built stronger in the lower end than a non-turbo IDI too, I forgot all the specs/updates but they were beefed up in the mains, rods, and maybe pistons. I just cant remember now.

·
49 Posts
This is an IDI Ford turbo. I have not run this turbo yet. I bought this Kit off of EBAY for a Ford truck. One problem was Ford used difference motor mounts then International truck. So the “Y” would not work. The Trans. will be the oil for the turbo. It should work great when done.

I’m not sure if I want to use the waste gate or not.

Hope to make a trip to Utah this next year.

Bus runs on WVO. 500 gal. of holding tanks to make round trip mounted on board.

220 gal tank

110 gal tank

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
keep us up datted on this and and ceck out my projects if you want.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
if you run trans fluid through your turbo you'll be putting new barings in it every 500 miles or less

·
49 Posts
I have talk to a Transmission builder and others about this and they said the bearings are made like want is use in Auto Trans and the only thing is the added heat for the trans and I have plans to install a large Trans cooler.

The turbo shaft just ride on the oil on the brass bearings.

I could be wrong but no one has told me why; so Tell me why you think I will eat up bearings?

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
I have talk to a Transmission builder and others about this and they said the bearings are made like want is use in Auto Trans and the only thing is the added heat for the trans and I have plans to install a large Trans cooler.

The turbo shaft just ride on the oil on the brass bearings.

I could be wrong but no one has told me why; so Tell me why you think I will eat up bearings?
ATF is a naturale deturgent, and a lubracator but, it will foam up in a turbo examlpe: put atf in a power steering system and drive it, you may think you have good steering, stop and turn the engine off and remove power steering resevoir cap you'll see foam or alot of little bubbles, that means your steering box is not getting enough lub and your pump is gettin too warm and not enough pressure to float the gears properly. Due to the smaller space that confines the brass barrins, if those oil lite barrings dont get the proper lub they get warm and losse form, and if you have ever changed the filter in an auto trans you will see normal clutch disk prticals in the pan and if they bypass the filter witch they due, your turbo will catch those particals and cause damage and if you put a prefilter on it that will reducue the bad but will also reduce the lub pressure.
those barrins are for oil only 30w hd min.
the only barrins i know that will stand up to atf and last a while is a garret ball barring turbo.
I live in Eaton, Ohio and in can help you with this project if you like.
Thanks R.C.

·
49 Posts
Rebel you have made the best argument I have hear.

As for the power steering system, it maybe bubbles because of the compression of the oil but the Turbo don’t have compression but a flow of oil over the bearings. So the ATF should not be foaming because of the turbo. It might foam because of the trans. pump but I have never heard of a foam problem in auto trans. before.

As for the partials in the oil: would these not also hurt the trans. moving parts?

:thumbsupSome good points.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Rebel you have made the best argument I have hear.

As for the power steering system, it maybe bubbles because of the compression of the oil but the Turbo don’t have compression but a flow of oil over the bearings. So the ATF should not be foaming because of the turbo. It might foam because of the trans. pump but I have never heard of a foam problem in auto trans. before.

As for the partials in the oil: would these not also hurt the trans. moving parts?
:thumbsupSome good points.
Very good i was hopping you would pic up on my point
But you need to consider that most auto trans lines uses 3/8''line minimum and i forgot to add to my argument it ueses a higher pressure than a standerd engine oil pump and also you are forcing that pressure through a smaller port
thats made for lower pressures. Oil lit barring turbos works off of forced oil pressure but they can only handle a max of 85 psi or the barrings will over load and the turbine will not spin freely< or lock up instantly> with in the barrins unless, it is a ball barring turbo.
Ball barrin turbos, now can handle hire pressures due to compitition, like sledd pullin or drag racing and for differante oils.
I also talked to a buddy of mine at a diesel engine and tranns shop and he wanted to tell me that if you run atf though that turbo yiou'll be rplacing the whole turbo. His resson: Those brass barings are made spicificly for oil only
and by running atf through it atf will eat those barrings up because those are made to ride a thin coating of oil and atf is too thin for that so the prop shaft will grind the barring out. Also trans pressure is too high even at an idle for those oil lit barrings.

Man all i'm saying is that it would be best to run engine oil though it so it will last a long time, I would really like to help you with your project i'm not to bad at problems like this. I hope this helps but, if you feel your way is better i wont arguee and sorry if i'm a berdden.

·
49 Posts
I'm getting a better picture of were you are coming from.

I still have a hard time understanding how the bearing will be hurt by ATF over motor oil. I'm still working on that.

I do see the problem with the higher pressure from the trans than motor oil pressure. That for sure will have to change. The 7.3 oil pressure is 30pis on the high side and the trans will be well over 100psi.

Good point :thumbsup

The one point we have not cover is the fact the piping was going to be hard after the Ford 7.3 turbo "Y" would not work on a Interntional truck. So this seen to be the best place. but with the turbo so low on the truck the oil could not be drain back to the motor so this is where the Trans came into play.

I'm going to see how they oil the Corvette rear turbo.

I still not buying the ATF vs. motor oil I'm Probably wrong but I don't see it.

Thanks keep me thinking

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
I'm getting a better picture of were you are coming from.

I still have a hard time understanding how the bearing will be hurt by ATF over motor oil. I'm still working on that.

I do see the problem with the higher pressure from the trans than motor oil pressure. That for sure will have to change. The 7.3 oil pressure is 30pis on the high side and the trans will be well over 100psi.

Good point :thumbsup

The one point we have not cover is the fact the piping was going to be hard after the Ford 7.3 turbo "Y" would not work on a Interntional truck. So this seen to be the best place. but with the turbo so low on the truck the oil could not be drain back to the motor so this is where the Trans came into play.

I'm going to see how they oil the Corvette rear turbo.

I still not buying the ATF vs. motor oil I'm Probably wrong but I don't see it.

Thanks keep me thinking
Ok, I'll give you credit on where you put the turbo good spot but, i used to have a 1990 f-350 7.3 idi diesel and it was not the original motor, the owner befor me put a 7.3 idi out of a bus in to it and it had a turbo but he sold that and put it back to N/A. The engine had a turbo pedistal style manifold and the driver side, if you contact a navistar dealer they should be able to get that for you, if i can find my old pics i'll show you what i'm talking about.

·
49 Posts
After thinking about the flooding of ATF in the turbo I was going to have to do something. So I'm changing this over to Motor oil and I have bought High performance pump for the Corvette rear turbo.

I'll never know how it will work off of the Trans. but I'm being safe and not taking a chance of breaking down.

Thanks for the input:thumbsup

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
After thinking about the flooding of ATF in the turbo I was going to have to do something. So I'm changing this over to Motor oil and I have bought High performance pump for the Corvette rear turbo.

I'll never know how it will work off of the Trans. but I'm being safe and not taking a chance of breaking down.

Thanks for the input:thumbsup
that will work, and your welcom and could i come over some time to check this out?:thumbsup

·
49 Posts
That will not be any problem. I'll pm you my number.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
That will not be any problem. I'll pm you my number.
Don't worry i have your number, i wound up getting alittle to busy but, i'll get with you somtime this weekend if thats ok with you?:madpoke

1 - 20 of 35 Posts