The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run aurora turbos on their 24v's and how do you like them? Anyone with a twins set up from them?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure. I noticed their ad in a diesel magazine and looked them up, so I felt like asking. I'm not too up on turbonetics so as far as sizes go or what two would work great to excellent on the 2nd gen 24v I have no clue.

·
216 Posts
How much fuel are you running? Garrett, Schwitzer, Borg Warner are good turbos, Borg Warner has come out with a new turbo I think it is called a EFR, it lets you run a biger wheel without as much turbo lag. So you could run a single and get the preformance of small twins. But they are expensive 2500 to 3000.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I saw that one the EFR for B/W in a tech article it looked pretty good. But like I said I'm not up to speed on turbos yet. :) still reading. The fuel that I'm running right now is stock. I'm waiting on $$$ to get an airdog pump and the vulcan big line kit to the VP44. So until the fuel rans still plain jane.

·
2,063 Posts
Just reading your signature it does not look like you would have much more than just a stock truck. So where are you wanting to go with power (when you get the money)?

I have a 2002 auto (DTT built) RV 275 injector, 4 inch exhaust (turbo back), I modified the wastegate on the HY35 to hold to 32 psi, installed a Edge Comp box, and upgraded the lift pump. It made 317 hp on rollers. And for me it works well towing and just driving. The mod's help fuel economy and added performance when I need it to pass or pull a load.

So what is your goal?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel economy. But the other side of the brain wants to tow/pull well over 15K.

·
2,063 Posts
15K gross combined, or net load?

Lets see the pickup is 6000 for a stock regular cab to a 7500 for a crew cab 4X4 with extras.

Tandum axle - dual wheel trailer say 30 feet long. 4000 to 5000

Net load 15000

That might be in CDL country. What would you be towing?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Towing goals are equipment, tractor plus tie downs gear etc. Full trailer loads of hay bales being 90-135lbs.

Mainly just dreaming to make a custom setup. 2500 that pulls like a 3500.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3.54 limited slip. I'll never bag anything unless I purchase it that way. The springs are stiff enough now doesn't even sag for a ton in the bed.

·
2,063 Posts
3.55's are good for light duty but towing, I would go to 4.10 to keep the rev's up just a little, and add a little grunt to start the load to moving. For a little better mileage and not reduce the load rating of the tires try something a little narrower like 235's in a 10 ply rating. Also drop the truck lower to keep the air out from under the vehicle. More air under the truck the more turbulance and air drag on the vehicle.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4.10 gears was what I was going for. I'd have to look at my tires for their sizes, my heights still stock. Thanks for the information. :)

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes either a compound turbo setup or twins.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not precisely still researching the setups to see what I can put together or purchase.

·
216 Posts
A few things that come to my mind when talking about twins is how much hp are you looking for? If you want 450 or less then a single well set up will do the trick if you can use to the way it drives. 500 and up twins? That is just my 2 cents, If you are going to tow a lot I would look for twins at about 400 hp.

Very small twins like a S200 over a 366? A S200 would spool quick and 366 could make enough air but the trouble is restriction in the exhuast.

Something a little more unique would be a Eaton 90 supercharger and a 472 it works well but to get the most out of this combination you would want a cam. And not a off the shelf unit. The reason is you have a positive pressure system with low back pressure on the exhaust, for that reason you can get by with less exhaust time. Just look a true supercharged engine cams. They do not work well in non supercharged engines.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

A supercharger on a diesel? Is that common or uncommon?

As far as towing during the summer season we'll have the jeep to tow out. When we get hay we try to get the most for our money. Hopefully a tractor later on this year. And the occasional towing stuff for the parents.

·
3 Posts
Does anyone run aurora turbos on their 24v's and how do you like them? Anyone with a twins set up from them?
dont have a twin set up but ive been running an aurora 3000 for about 3 years. first on my 2002 24, now on my 2006. its a really good, quick spooling turbo, works great for towing and street use. a friend of mine has has the compounds on a CR, says they work really well

hope that helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts