The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I need a little advice here. I am getting ready to jump into my first diesel and I have 2 that I am looking at. I will be pulling a 27' camper with this and that will be the extent of the towing for this truck.

I actually prefer a manual transmission, and have found an extended cab '99 that is in good condition both mechanically & cosmetically that is being sold by an individual (manual transmission) with 140k miles. Then I get a call this weekend from a family member who is in the car business (try not to cuss at me too much) and they just traded for an '01 crew cab AUTOMATIC with 120k miles. Both are 4 wheel drive and are in good condition. I have been looking at these trucks for a while and it seems that the automatic transmission always seems to be an issue, and looking through these forums confirms this for me.

I guess what I am asking is should I be afraid of the '01 with the automatic transmission and just stick with the '99 manual? I am not looking to get a truck and have to rebuild the transmission in a few months.

Now let me throw in another kicker...I can get either of them for about the same price...The individual with the '99 is actually a little high on their price, and the dealer '01 (family member) is beyond low...

any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:help

·
1,726 Posts
It's really just personal preference.

Yes auto's can have problems. But nothing says that a manual wont either. With 140k miles on the manual it is probably close to due for a clutch. That will be minimum 1000 bucks installed. And that's for stock replacement stuff. A good clutch to handle a high powered chip will be 1000 just for parts.

Since the trucks are similar in miles and years I would be looking at condition of the vehicle and what previous maintinence has been like. It's a much better indication of how a vehicle will last than just the year and miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A truck that's 2 years newer in good condition (or at least no worse than the 99) for the same money? That's easy - you said it yourself...
eepe said:
The individual with the '99 is actually a little high on their price, and the dealer '01 (family member) is beyond low...
A good deal's a good deal, and the bottom line is if it suits your needs that's what matters. There are plenty of places that can help you should you run into problems with either one.

If you're getting a steal on the 01 truck, and you're only hesitating because of the automatic, the good deal leaves some leftover money for you to spend on upgrading the transmission if/when the time comes. The fact that it's newer and you'll have equity in it also means it'll have better resale value for you in the future too. Also, should you ever have to invest in an upgraded transmission, it'll only help resale value as well.

·
172 Posts
be careful if the 01 has the mechanical diode tranny. I can't remember the specific build dates that had it but i belive it was the early 01s

someone correct me if im mistaken

·
608 Posts
early or late 99 manual? My vote is for the manual. hauling 27 ft worth of camper, you want the control its gonna give you. The clutch and tranny? you can get a southbend installed for a grand... I love my manual, but it comes down to what you are going to us it the most for... I hate stop and go traffic. but hauling, I couldn't ask for more. its your decision.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
"a stick in the hand is worth a pedal on the floor"
my vote is for the 99 providid its a late 99 can you give us a build date?

·
324 Posts
Like earlier noted, its a matter of preference and value, if the 99 is high why would you buy it, if the 01 is cheap and in every bit of good of shape as the 99 why would you not buy it, i have a 00 with over 300k on the ticker with the stock tranny AT, I have pulled large and small trailers but normally its about a 30' livestock trailer gooseneck, i would not be afraid of 140 on an AT as long as it has been maintained.

·
1,386 Posts
I've towed my 31' camper for 8 years with a stick and I'm ready for an automatic. My vote goes to the auto.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
The bargain hunter in me says go for the automatic, especially cause its newer, less miles, bigger cab, probably more options, etc. I was dead set on finding a manual truck PSD, until I found an automatic $2500 cheaper and 40K less miles than any manual truck I had looked at... And it had more options.

·
928 Posts
01 with the automatic - mostly because I like to relax when I'm driving. My CJ is a manual and sometimes I just don't want to shift anymore. Maybe Im gettin old.

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts. I know it may seem a bit silly, but it seems like every truck i have looked at that was an automatic had a rebuilt tranny in it. It just spooked me a bit, then I got to looking through the forums for stuff on them and it seemed like it was a know issue, so I guess you could say I am a bit hesitant. I am hoping to get the VIN of the 01 so I can get the OASIS report on it...but in the mean time, they posted the results of the '99 here:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62798

If anyone sees anything that throws up a red flag, please feel free to let me know. It seems like they had quite a few things repaired on the truck early on, but nothing since, so I am guessing it didn't go back to the dealer for any repairs...

Thanks again for all your responses.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
No problems to be really concerned about... Few master cylinder issues, and the normal door light problems that can be fixed with WD40.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is a new recall that just came out a few weeks ago.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
my vote no on the 99 its an early one get the 01

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have payed $3000 more to get a manual if I could have found one with less then 200k and at least an extended cab. Especially after I had to replace the auto 2 months after buying it with 92K on it. Thank god for aftermarket warranties. It at least payed for a good part of the new trans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts