The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Axles or ball joints need replacing. Can they be rebuilt or does the whole axle from the diff to the knuckle have to be replaced and where can I get some? Thanks

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I believe NAPA has both for our trucks. What are your symptoms?

Tony

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it makes a grinding noise that would make you thank it is the brakes, and my rotors may need to be turned but I did just put new brakes on it a month ago.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Check your front hubs for movement and the ball joints at the sametime. It is unlikely, but possible that the front CV's have gone bad. Best option is to replace with new on any vehicle IMO. One way to isolate the sound is by placing truck on jackstands (on level ground ofcourse) or a two post lift and engaging 4WD and finding where the sound is likely coming from. Be careful with the throttle as the truck can still rock front to back if on jackstands!

Good luck,
Tony

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did jack it up and check the wheel for play, and it has a lot. You can see the axle and or ball joint move as you move the wheel and tire in and out.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
More than likely the wheel bearings went out, kinda common on our trucks. I think GM revised the design due to failures. Ball joints on a truck this big is easy with a press.

Here is a how to with pics from another site for the hub. hope this helps.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71798

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts