The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, been looking at a truck with a bad C model in it, guy thinks its a bad head gasket,

now my question is, with it already opened up i would plan on at least doing an inframe on it,
some guys have been talking about the 580+genset steel build which i like the thought of,

Or

i know where there is a 7fb B model that runs and i could drop in, at this point all im after is bigger HP

(trying for north of 600-650)

i would think the genset at the 580 parts from cat would be the better route,

whats all of your thoughts and pro's an cons.

thanks

·
168 Posts
well unless you have a C crank and 5888 C pump id just build it to a 7fb with 3421nozzles and 177148 borg warner turbo or a stage one pdi. personally im a C type of guy and the steel 14.5:1's with 8785 nozzles and late b early C cam is the way to roll. They dont make a steel top to fit the narrow b crank and narrow taper smaller pin connecting rod.

·
168 Posts
the c with steel crowns installed and and other mentioned parts will make more power, live longer, run cleaner and get better mileage. The B is stronger in a quick pull situation and the Will outpull the C in a long hill unless you burn the B up tryn.

·
2,824 Posts
There is a steel top piston that fits the narrow bearing small wrist pin rod.

Reactions: Cat Attack

·
168 Posts
There is a steel top piston that fits the narrow bearing small wrist pin rod.
The ones for 3408' that use a shorter rod right? Has anyone actually used them? Seems like to me that their would be some timing/trailing smoke issues created by the change in the dwell from the shorter rods?? A shorter rod will speed up piston and it will spend less time at TDC and BDC. Got any part# for s
the Pack?

·
2,824 Posts
The rods are the same length, there are a few pistons that are used in both the 3406 and the Vee engines.

Do these look like they have different compression height differences.

Reactions: Red Diesel

·
2,824 Posts

The only arrangement number that these show up in for a 3406 also uses 3421 nozzles, and yes they are 13:1.

·
168 Posts
The rods are the same length, there are a few pistons that are used in both the 3406 and the Vee engines.

Do these look like they have different compression height differences.

That looks like a BXS ACCERT one piece steel to me?? They are the same wrist pin height as a B piston but have a larger wrist pin than even the C's have and require the wider 4 bold Accert rod which requires the even wider Accert crank which has the longer stroke like a C16 has. Got some part #'s and what did these belong in originally? 13.0:1 would be a little low for a everyday driver! would need alot more fuel than the 3421's and the factory B pump would deliver id think!? Arnt the 13.0:1's natural gas or something like that?

·
2,824 Posts
Gas pistons are 9-10:1.

I won't be letting the numbers loose on these steel pistons until I figure out what all is needed to make them work. They are not from an acert hence why they gave the same pin bore as the aluminum 3406 piston, they are also over 15:1 compression.

I have had 13.5:1 pistons in an 855 and there was no noticeable difference in starting over any of the higher compression ones.

Don't run the 13:1 then, I was just showing what is available to save from changing cranks.

·
168 Posts
So what is the point of telln us they make a steel piston to fit the B if your gonna just play the game of not giving up the part#'s? Pretty hard to tell if the wrist pin bore is the same by lookin at a picture of them staggered!

·
2,555 Posts
I would think that if Cody isn't releasing the part numbers without a list of companion components it is to avoid someone skimming through a thread and ordering those pistons without reading through the rest of the thread, then when that blows up blaming him.

Perhaps if members were thankful for the information they received people would be more likely to provide it. Keep the caustic comments in you head.

·
2,824 Posts
Very much so Longhood, don't quite have all the details worked out, still don't know what exact oil squirter needs to be used.

Once I figure things out and have a set in my 7FB and running then I may share, have an 855 to build first for my K100.

Reactions: jdub63 and Oxbow12

·
Jdub63
62 Posts
steel pistons for a 'B' model

K here is the dirt from cat on steel piston for a narrow rod engine 'B' model.

Cylinder pack # OR-4281 replaced with 10R-3787, OR-3757 replaced with OR-OR-9847 and you have to change the oil pump, OR-9448 needs to be replaced with OR-9449 or if you have OR-9697 it must be replaced with OR-10R-0428

Also need to change the relief valve retainer from 9Y-1800 to 9Y-1792

Piston cooling jet need to be change to 166-3650 and 111-8606 (3/8) or 277-3076 and 151-5925 (7/16)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts